Low-Carb/Paleo Lifestyle

Kleineganz

Re: Low-Carb/Paleo Lifestyle

Post by Kleineganz »

Angie V wrote:Bitter, really? Wow, that is so odd to me. I've never heard anyone say that!
If I use a whole packet (I use Truvia) in a big mug of tea, it is way too sweet for me.
Truvia isn't pure stevia. It's a mix of one part of the stevia plant (RebA) and Erythritol (check the label - I use Truvia packets whenever I travel/eat out). Real stevia is RebA + Steviosides (sp?) and it's the Steviosides that make stevia so sweet, and also what gives it a bitter aftertaste. They have to add erythtritol to Truvia because the RebA isn't sweet enough on its own.

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Angie V »

Kleineganz wrote:
Angie V wrote:Bitter, really? Wow, that is so odd to me. I've never heard anyone say that!
If I use a whole packet (I use Truvia) in a big mug of tea, it is way too sweet for me.
Truvia isn't pure stevia. It's a mix of one part of the stevia plant (RebA) and Erythritol (check the label - I use Truvia packets whenever I travel/eat out). Real stevia is RebA + Steviosides (sp?) and it's the Steviosides that make stevia so sweet, and also what gives it a bitter aftertaste. They have to add erythtritol to Truvia because the RebA isn't sweet enough on its own.
ooh, ok i see. i have only used truvia (out of all sweeteners that aren't real sugar) and i'm still on my first box so i'm not very experienced with that stuff haha
imma ball til the day i fall

Alka
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Alka »

Kleineganz wrote:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/sugar-al ... z2DHbBeFRq seems like it's not that bad, but you should still try swanson's brand stevia at least for your coffees, it's not bitter. I agree on baking, stevia is a bit weird and I can not get over the taste yet, but I have recently bought raw stevia powder, so will see how that goes. where do you buy your erythritol?
I've tried that and pretty much every brand of stevia on the market. All of it is bitter to me.

I buy "Z-Sweet" brand erythritol, and I get that at Whole Foods Market.[/quote]

gonna look out for that, Stevia is illegal in UK I think, I get it shipped from Jersey. They don't sell that many sweeteners in London Whole Foods. Does it come in a dropper form or as powder?

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

Alka wrote:
Kleineganz wrote:
I've tried that and pretty much every brand of stevia on the market. All of it is bitter to me.

I buy "Z-Sweet" brand erythritol, and I get that at Whole Foods Market.
gonna look out for that, Stevia is illegal in UK I think, I get it shipped from Jersey. They don't sell that many sweeteners in London Whole Foods. Does it come in a dropper form or as powder?
Z-Sweet is basically crystallized just like sugar. In fact when I have it in my sugar bowl, you can't tell the difference until you taste it (the thing about sugar alcohols is that it leaves a slight "cool" sensation in your mouth, which is why it's very popular to use them in sugarless breath mints). You don't notice the sensation at all if you put it in something hot like coffee or tea though.

Decayedbeauty
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Decayedbeauty »

I don't like any of those artificial sweeteners. I use either sugar or agave nectar. I don't sweeten my tea though or drink coffee sooo I guess I wouldn't really use sugar or agave much either except for the twice a year I actually bake something.

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

Decayedbeauty wrote:I don't like any of those artificial sweeteners. I use either sugar or agave nectar. I don't sweeten my tea though or drink coffee sooo I guess I wouldn't really use sugar or agave much either except for the twice a year I actually bake something.
Well that's the point - stevia and sugar alcohols are natural, not artificial, sweeteners. I do sweeten my tea and coffee so I needed to find an alternative to sugar, since sugar (or agave nectar, or even honey) are not consumed on a low-carb diet.

Since you consume it so infrequently, I think you're fine though. :)

Alka
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Alka »

I don't like that they're being called artificial, but apparently it's the calories or the lack of that makes them artificial. If it's 0 or 2 calories - it's artificial, doesn't matter that it comes from natural sources like a plant.

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

Alka wrote:I don't like that they're being called artificial, but apparently it's the calories or the lack of that makes them artificial. If it's 0 or 2 calories - it's artificial, doesn't matter that it comes from natural sources like a plant.
So then every time you eat a piece of fruit, you are eating "artificial" sweeteners? Besides fructose, fruits are loaded with sugar alcohols. So are some veggies, like sweet corn or carrots.

Alka
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Alka »

talk to the name giving people about that :) i don't like stevia being called artificial either, makes people thing wrong things about it. and no, you're eating real sugar as there's fructose there and it gets number 1

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

Since the vegetarians are talking about it - for those of us who are low-carb and/or paleo - what are you having for Christmas dinner? I'm making German Sauerbraten, with a side of mashed potatoes (the potatoes don't fit my diet, but it's Christmas and it's a comfort food my grandmother made a lot).

For Christmas I usually make either Sauerbraten or Leg of Lamb. Those were the two things we'd have for Christmas when I was a kid so I try and keep up the tradition. Sauerbraten is fairly easy to make. I have a recipe for it here: http://gabsplace.com/recipes/sauerbraten/. This year I'm only making 3lbs so the recipe is fairly easy to modify.

Alka
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Alka »

i'm cheating this Xmas :) we're visiting the family and it's them cooking.

wanderer
Debater
Debater

Post by wanderer »

This is interesting to me. I try to eat high carb (mostly from fruits though, hardly any grains) and very little fat. Like sometimes up to 70% of my diet is carbs, and the thing is that I feel amazing and full and all my junk food cravings are basically gone
I'm just wondering how people lose weight on a 65% fat diet? So does this mean that lean meats like chicken and turkey are not consumed, whereas full fat beef would be? It's very interesting to me to learn about different diets! I just don't understand how you guys survive without eating fruit, and it's weird to me how consuming fruit is deemed as "unhealthy" because of the sugar/ carb content. Idk (ps. not attacking your lifestyles, just curious)
.... well I mean I could have just googled this but...

wanderer
Debater
Debater

Post by wanderer »

Interesting! I think it's cool how people can thrive on different diets, because for me consuming high fat foods (meat especially) just makes me feel "blah" and I've been doing really well on high carb :) Freelee the banana girl (I know people hate her on this website but I think she speaks of a lot of validity) was a huge inspiration to me which is why I swear by high carb now :) Okay thanks for the information though, have a lovely day :)

fossilfinger
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by fossilfinger »

If you cut out most fruits and lots of vegetables, how do you get vitamins? Do you take supplements?

rocksplash
Learner
Learner

Post by rocksplash »

I've been on a low carb diet for 11 months now, and I love it! My anxiety levels are very low (for me), and it's been pretty easy. If anyone else is thinking of starting, check out the blogs "I Breathe I'm Hungry" and "All Day Long I Dream About Food".

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

I try to follow a low-carb regimen, although definitely not strictly paleo. My main goal is to focus on mostly lean meats, lots of fresh veggies, some fruit, some whole grain and a smidge of healthy fats. I try to avoid processed food and added sugar as much as possible.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Return to “Diet”