MakeupObeseNotForTV Part 5

GoldChocobo
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: MakeupObeseNotForTV Part 5

Post by GoldChocobo »

HeyMama wrote:Sorry for the DP, but quit with the lame ass names! It is a contour! Not a lipstick, blush or shadow.
THIS! No one's looking at your muddy CON-TOOR and saying "wow, Marlena, are you wearing 'Divorcee' (or whatever effing dumb name you gave it)???" No! No one cares because you are never supposed to notice a contour. That's not how it works!
I may be Canadian, but I can be snarky as hell.

nashvillian101
Learner
Learner
Been thanked: 0

Post by nashvillian101 »

jessica3llen wrote:I don't see how Marlena could possibly compete with brands like L'Oreal and such. Her products are the same price point as drugstore. But worse quality, poorly thought out packaging, bad customer service, no returns, shipping charges, and only available ONLINE.
Yes! And with these ridiculous 4 warm/4 cool options people are going to order, get the wrong shade because honestly how should they know. Not everyone is a "MUA" and there are no samples or testers. So they pay the shipping, wait forever, it's the wrong shade and then.... BAM! No returns. This is not the way I would follow up on #sparklergate. Whoever said CE-NO was 110% correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cheezecake
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by cheezecake »

Another thing i think about is how fast they want to grow. Damn, i spend much time thinking about MUG. But i am just profoundly disappointed in them because i considered the company really doing well for coming out of nothing (or youtube - pretty much the same).

it seems like Marlena wants to grow MUG's range to the size of MAC in a year. I can recommend her (and anyone) Lisa Eldridge's book "Facepaint" where Lisa is talking about history of brands. It just does not happen overnight. You don't have to have a line of 1000 products to call yourself a beauty brand. I mean, look at BeautyBlender! You have to have a one bang product. Her eyeshadows were great: way better than drugstore and cheaper than individuals from e.g. MAC. She could grow that, keep reformulating, adding colors and finishes, collab pallets...the list goes on...

Why the heck is she branching out to glitter and contours - products more consumers steer clear from? Why is she launching stuff every 3 months? Girl needs to hire a consultant or pretty much anyone who had marketing 101 in college. And because of her stupid marketing, i predict ultimate fail of customer service and distribution, stuff she doesn't seem to invest in.

HeyMama
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by HeyMama »

cheezecake wrote:Another thing i think about is how fast they want to grow. Damn, i spend much time thinking about MUG. But i am just profoundly disappointed in them because i considered the company really doing well for coming out of nothing (or youtube - pretty much the same).

it seems like Marlena wants to grow MUG's range to the size of MAC in a year. I can recommend her (and anyone) Lisa Eldridge's book "Facepaint" where Lisa is talking about history of brands. It just does not happen overnight. You don't have to have a line of 1000 products to call yourself a beauty brand. I mean, look at BeautyBlender! You have to have a one bang product. Her eyeshadows were great: way better than drugstore and cheaper than individuals from e.g. MAC. She could grow that, keep reformulating, adding colors and finishes, collab pallets...the list goes on...

Why the heck is she branching out to glitter and contours - products more consumers steer clear from? Why is she launching stuff every 3 months? Girl needs to hire a consultant or pretty much anyone who had marketing 101 in college. And because of her stupid marketing, i predict ultimate fail of customer service and distribution, stuff she doesn't seem to invest in.
Wasn't she working on foundations and concealers? Whatever happened with that? I'd be much more interested in that than some shit glitter. But I wouldn't put it past her to come out with strictly warm shades because "they look better on the skin" and are "better for correcting dark circles."
I do not use TT. Please message me through the GG website.

Post by Guest »

HeyMama wrote:
cheezecake wrote:Another thing i think about is how fast they want to grow. Damn, i spend much time thinking about MUG. But i am just profoundly disappointed in them because i considered the company really doing well for coming out of nothing (or youtube - pretty much the same).

Wasn't she working on foundations and concealers? Whatever happened with that? I'd be much more interested in that than some shit glitter. But I wouldn't put it past her to come out with strictly warm shades because "they look better on the skin" and are "better for correcting dark circles."
wasn't she working on lip products as well? including liquid lipsticks? hmm. while i'm more interested in lipsticks, i won't be purchasing from makeupgeek cause of all the yt shilling (which annoys me), and i don't want to give my money to marlena so she could fill her face with more shit. PLUS no returns. if and when she gets her shit together and gains my trust then i'd reconsider, but for now...nah.

HeyMama
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by HeyMama »

GucciCoochie wrote:
HeyMama wrote:

wasn't she working on lip products as well? including liquid lipsticks? hmm. while i'm more interested in lipsticks, i won't be purchasing from makeupgeek cause of all the yt shilling (which annoys me), and i don't want to give my money to marlena so she could fill her face with more shit. PLUS no returns. if and when she gets her shit together and gains my trust then i'd reconsider, but for now...nah.
Agreed! If I cant return it I want to have the option to visit a store. I have a feeling she got in over her inflated head.
I do not use TT. Please message me through the GG website.

truebooty
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by truebooty »

What is her reasoning for not doing returns? Has she spoken on it?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

MissDelusional
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by MissDelusional »

I really agree with the sticking with one thing and, horror of horrors, perfecting it?
For instance MAC was/ is really known for their matte lipsticks; now they've got everything under the sun BUT they're a well established company.
I think she's gotten greedy and overzealous and I can't imagine this will end well.
Venti, vidi, grande. :coffee:

cheezecake
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by cheezecake »

truebooty wrote:What is her reasoning for not doing returns? Has she spoken on it?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
I haven't heard but i bet it to her poor supply chain; they can't be bothered to process it, not enough people. I must say they are not as bad as Morphe. I once waited for my order for 4 weeks after shipping (i live in europe) so i told them most probably my order is lost. They sent me another one immediately for free. And i got the original one; customs held it for some reason

cheezecake
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by cheezecake »

MissDelusional wrote:I really agree with the sticking with one thing and, horror of horrors, perfecting it?
For instance MAC was/ is really known for their matte lipsticks; now they've got everything under the sun BUT they're a well established company.
I think she's gotten greedy and overzealous and I can't imagine this will end well.
Dp!
Yeah, MAC is owned by Estee Lauder; there are a lot of money and expertice behind them. I work for FMCG and i sometimes meet Estee Lauder colleagues, they weirdly belong in our industry, i can say it is all in the supply chain. You can have awesomest product on paper, but if you can't manufacture, package and deliver it - then thats it for your product. It is darn hard to build a buisness that sells consumer goods..on your own...with experience in music teaching and slapping warm contour on your cool toned skin.

sandserif
Informer
Informer

Post by sandserif »

Maybe she wants to push a full line so it'll make more sense to open the MUG store. Didn't she have a space lined up last year, when she only had a handful of products? I thought that was so odd.

anderbobo
Learner
Learner

Post by anderbobo »

I think it is much better to do one thing exceptionally well than a bunch of different things poorly. She could have really just built a foundation of affordable, interesting eyeshadows, made some really awesome pallets, maybe worked her way into ULTA or something, perhaps then go on QVC, and then once she got that name recognition and perhaps some more investor funds branch out to other products. I think theres a lot of cache these days in being an indie brand, especially with a decent product, but she is really starting to tarnish the MUG name with flop release after flop release. The sparklers are a disaster, I know she had issues with the duo chromes and the new contour powders are not going to perform well because they are not even contours. It seems obvious to me that she is overwhelmed, and the quality of her product is paying the price. The no returns is ridiculous and something she is going to have to remedy considering she is moving into some pretty skin tone specific products.

fizzwizz12

Post by fizzwizz12 »

Watched her snaps ... She has a blowout...It's the best her hair has ever looked.... Also love how she complains about eating out and then snaps her food at a restaurant....
“I don't care what you are doing, so much as the idiotic way that you are doing it.”-vincent valentine

Lady-Ellie
Debater
Debater

Post by Lady-Ellie »

fizzwizz12 wrote:Watched her snaps ... She has a blowout...It's the best her hair has ever looked.... Also love how she complains about eating out and then snaps her food at a restaurant....
I saw those snaps as well.. my favorite part was when she was about to go all Ham on the hubs for taking her fried cheese.. lmao!! Image

TrangPak
Informer
Informer

Post by TrangPak »

Holy fucking shit....in those pics where she's demonstrating the contours on the models...Marlena's pic looks so strange! She doesn't look like herself at all....she looks so bloated from the fillers...her lips...too....holy hell. The model next to her on the website looks pretty and natural...and then Marlena looks...so weird..and otherworldly

BlancheDevereau
Informer
Informer

Post by BlancheDevereau »

anderbobo wrote:I think it is much better to do one thing exceptionally well than a bunch of different things poorly. She could have really just built a foundation of affordable, interesting eyeshadows, made some really awesome pallets, maybe worked her way into ULTA or something, perhaps then go on QVC, and then once she got that name recognition and perhaps some more investor funds branch out to other products. I think theres a lot of cache these days in being an indie brand, especially with a decent product, but she is really starting to tarnish the MUG name with flop release after flop release. The sparklers are a disaster, I know she had issues with the duo chromes and the new contour powders are not going to perform well because they are not even contours. It seems obvious to me that she is overwhelmed, and the quality of her product is paying the price. The no returns is ridiculous and something she is going to have to remedy considering she is moving into some pretty skin tone specific products.
EXACTLY! Look at Anastasia. She started out with brow products and once she perfected those and people were loving them, then she released her other products. Besides brow products/tools, I think she only does her eyeshadows/palettes, lip products and contour/highlight kits. That's less products than what Marlena is pumping out and they are way higher quality.

XTC
Debater
Debater

Post by XTC »

makeupgeektv This Marc Jacobs ReMarcable foundation is amazing!! New fave. No this isn't sponsored- it's truly a flawless looking foundation. Just wish the colors weren't all so yellow based, but formula is perfect 1d

Right, and her new contour shades are not one bit warm/oranged toned :roll:

fizzwizz12

Post by fizzwizz12 »

Yo shit stain....your "bestie" Jac snapped about some sweet glitter shadows. Bet you'd wish you had been patient and made a better product than your sparklers.
Should stick to what you know....copying Mac for less
“I don't care what you are doing, so much as the idiotic way that you are doing it.”-vincent valentine

MakeupObeseNotForTV Part 5

Post by Guest »

She wishes they weren't all yellow based?
Doesn't she use yellow based foundation for her pink undertoned skin?

Correct me if I'm wrong...

So you'd think she'd be happy applying the incorrect foundation colour to her face and neck.

auntiflo13

Post by auntiflo13 »

MUFE have come out with glitter shadows and they look AMAZING ! Nikkie tutorials mentioned them in her monthly favourites ! x
Stay home, stay safe & keep healthy <3

Return to “MakeupGeekTV”