Over priced makeup geek products

ughasif
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Over priced makeup geek products

Post by ughasif »

First off although this is the trash a guru side, I do wan't to say that I have been watching Marlena since I was 17 and I still watch because I adore her beautiful personality. She just comes across as genuine and smart. I have been wanting to try her ever so popular shadows because Jaclyn Hill seems to love those shadows more than her own Jaclyn Hill palette by Morphe. My colleague showed me a picture of a new Makeup Geek palette, which I believe had 6 colors, and she told me that it was about $150 or something. Isn't this a little ridiculously overpriced? Has anyone tried any of her products? To be honest at first I just though her shadows were repackaged items.

Melissa26m
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Re: Over priced makeup geek products

Post by Melissa26m »

I've bought about 15 of here original eye shadows they are ok but I just never use them. I will reaching for them less if wacko is on board

@thebeautyroomgirl

QuesoRita
Learner
Learner

Post by QuesoRita »

Melissa26m wrote:I've bought about 15 of here original eye shadows they are ok but I just never use them. I will reaching for them less if wacko is on board

@thebeautyroomgirl
Wakko is indeed on board. She and Manny are with Marlena in Sacramento now.

melac
Talker
Talker

Post by melac »

ughasif wrote:First off although this is the trash a guru side, I do wan't to say that I have been watching Marlena since I was 17 and I still watch because I adore her beautiful personality. She just comes across as genuine and smart. I have been wanting to try her ever so popular shadows because Jaclyn Hill seems to love those shadows more than her own Jaclyn Hill palette by Morphe. My colleague showed me a picture of a new Makeup Geek palette, which I believe had 6 colors, and she told me that it was about $150 or something. Isn't this a little ridiculously overpriced? Has anyone tried any of her products? To be honest at first I just though her shadows were repackaged items.
That $150 price can't be right. I just looked on the website and the only 6 shadow palette is Vegas Lights and it's $30. She also has bundles of 9 shadows & a Z-Palette for $50. Do you know what the palette was called?

I personally like the MUG shadows. I use them pretty much every time I do my makeup because I find they last the longest on my oily eyelids. I'm a little annoyed she's collaborating with Jaclyn but i'm not gonna to stop using MUG products because of it.

auntiflo13

Post by auntiflo13 »

I've got 6 of her 'normal' shadows....corrupt is really black ....and I mean black....it's actually too over pigmented and has fallout like crazy. I also have two of her foiled shadows and to be honest, I prefer Urban Decay. The foiled shadows crease like crazy and they refuse to stay on (I've tried primers, concealer and a dab of foundation.....and even used the brush wet with Mac's fix plus). Make up geek shadows are expensive as MAC to us in the UK as Marlena doesn't have the 'add tax at checkout' option. So, we get a card from Her Majesty's Custom and Excise demanding £5 tax PLUS £8.50 Royal Mail handling charge. That's another $20 on top of what we've paid for shipping and the product itself. I also own one of MUG blushes....and I prefer Milani ! So for an individual eyeshadow it's $5.99 + $6.00 shipping + $20 tax/import fees.....making one shadow $32 .....I can get two MAC eyeshadows for one of Marlena's!! MUG are just not worth it for us in Europe .....and they take a month to arrive! I've asked Marlena and her customer service to look into this option of adding tax at checkout .....then we wouldn't get the royal mail handling fee added on .....no response from them about it!x
Stay home, stay safe & keep healthy <3

QuesoRita
Learner
Learner

Post by QuesoRita »

auntiflo13 wrote:I've got 6 of her 'normal' shadows....corrupt is really black ....and I mean black....it's actually too over pigmented and has fallout like crazy. I also have two of her foiled shadows and to be honest, I prefer Urban Decay. The foiled shadows crease like crazy and they refuse to stay on (I've tried primers, concealer and a dab of foundation.....and even used the brush wet with Mac's fix plus). Make up geek shadows are expensive as MAC to us in the UK as Marlena doesn't have the 'add tax at checkout' option. So, we get a card from Her Majesty's Custom and Excise demanding £5 tax PLUS £8.50 Royal Mail handling charge. That's another $20 on top of what we've paid for shipping and the product itself. I also own one of MUG blushes....and I prefer Milani ! So for an individual eyeshadow it's $5.99 + $6.00 shipping + $20 tax/import fees.....making one shadow $32 .....I can get two MAC eyeshadows for one of Marlena's!! MUG are just not worth it for us in Europe .....and they take a month to arrive! I've asked Marlena and her customer service to look into this option of adding tax at checkout .....then we wouldn't get the royal mail handling fee added on .....no response from them about it!x
A month???? wtf

ughasif
Learner
Learner

Post by ughasif »

Your'e right I guess my co worker was referring to the Makeup Geek Foiled Eyeshadow Expansion and Vegas Lights Palette Bundle which retails for $120. would just love it if you tubers were genuine with their reviews, but everyone is so afraid to be honest. Yes Waclyn is one of the broads who dies for the MUG shadows. There aren't even any reviews on my trustworthy Makeupalley.com, so this definitely leaves me wondering about the overall quality on these. Shadows aren't expensive to make. If anyone is familiar with TKB trading, you know that you can purchase your own shadows and Mica's to create your own custom colors and formulations for just a few dollars. I don't expect her to price her eyeshadow pans for $1.00, but I do expect her to treat consumers fairly. Her products seem like most of MAC's products, over priced and over hyped for the quantity and quality.

luchadora0112
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by luchadora0112 »

The problem with MUG is that she acts like her products are so affordable compared to other single shadows from brands that sell them for $18+. But with UD, MUFE, and other brands, I tend to buy palettes. I mean you aren't just going to use one shadow right? So if you start to create a palette with MUG at $6 or $7 a shadow (She said she was increasing the price)... that is $54+$14 zpalette. And the UD Naked palettes retail for $54 and have 12 full size shadows AND a brush. Not to mention they are more accessible so you wouldn't have the added shipping costs. So when push comes to shove her products really are not that affordable.

So when I am comparing them to companies like Makeup Forever and Urban Decay (because that is what price point they are at) The quality is not there, and the service is not there to justify that price! And this doesn't include the bigger price tag for the foiled shadows! Which crumble.

Some people swear by these MUG shadows but for me I will stick to MUFE and UD, brands that I have used for some time and I know work for me.

gossipgenius
Lurker
Lurker

Post by gossipgenius »

ughasif wrote:First off although this is the trash a guru side, I do wan't to say that I have been watching Marlena since I was 17 and I still watch because I adore her beautiful personality. She just comes across as genuine and smart. I have been wanting to try her ever so popular shadows because Jaclyn Hill seems to love those shadows more than her own Jaclyn Hill palette by Morphe. My colleague showed me a picture of a new Makeup Geek palette, which I believe had 6 colors, and she told me that it was about $150 or something. Isn't this a little ridiculously overpriced? Has anyone tried any of her products? To be honest at first I just though her shadows were repackaged items.
I own 14 MUG shadows, 4 MUG pigments, 4 MUG blushes, 1 MUG gel liner and 2 MUG lipsticks. I can definitely speak to the quality of her products from the perspective of someone with oily skin. I do not like her shadows—AT ALL. While they are pigmented, they don't last. They crease after a couple of hours of wear—even with my Urban Decay primer (which works really well for me and with shadows I own from other brands.) And whatever you do, don't buy Wisteria. Ugh. I actually won that shade in MUG giveaway contest, and the darn thing was patchy and BARELY pigmented. And she said that particular color had been reformulated. Reformulated? Geez. How'd did perform before? It was truly awful. And did I mention it started crumbling? I hadn't dropped it or anything, it just started deteriorating now it's own after I only had it maybe a month.

Her blushes perform well, IMO. They're very pigmented, creamy, and blendable. The quality is about like Milani's, so if you want to save a few dollars and shipping costs, you could always just buy Milani.

The pigments are pretty. They come in fun colors and they're easy to use, although without sifters you get a lot of fall out. But I like them.

The lipsticks suck. They smell like chemicals and they stain—not in a good way. She's currently not selling these, and coming out with new products.

The gel liner is nothing to write home about. You can get great gel liners anywhere, especially the drug store.

I absolutely regret wasting my money on the shadows. That's 45-plus dollars I can't get back. What a waste.

Any who, I say give the blushes a try if you're curious and avoid the shadows—not worth it.

Lady-Ellie
Debater
Debater

Post by Lady-Ellie »

I have the Vegas Lights pallet as well as the pigments that were bundled with it. Also I purchased 2 of her brushes. The pencil brush I bought sucks. It literally scratches your skin when using it to smoke out your bottom liner. The dome brush was Ok but nothing special IMO. Now, the shadows.. First, Bada Bing (choc. brown w/ gold flecks is what sold me on the pallet to begin with, I thought that would be a beautiful color. In concept it is however, the shadow is very dry and Does Not blend well At All. The other shades are pigmented but vary only slightly in color and have no real lasting abilities. I know Marlena is forever going on about how she feels a pallet should be diverse enough to get a few different looks from BUT I challenge ANYONE to try to get more than one possibly two looks that are different from each other that actually looks "Good" from this pallet. The only upside is that I purchased the pallet at a reduced rate.. I now know why. I'll stick to stila and tarte, more staying power for the same amount of money and definitely more "looks" per pallet.

Lady-Ellie
Debater
Debater

Post by Lady-Ellie »

A quick add here.. The pigments are best used with some MAC fix plus sprayed onto your brush prior to applying. Beware, when you open your jar of pigment you're going to end up with more color on your hands and counter than on your actual face.. Very messy packaging.

luchadora0112
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by luchadora0112 »

So I decided to watch her youtube video of her new matte shadows... and noticed she has a rusty orange color called Morocco..... and I was like wait a second!

That exact color with that name is in the ABH Amrezy palette and part of their collection :| :?
But makeup companies are trying to copy her guys! Oh wait... ABH came out with it first!

Lady-Ellie
Debater
Debater

Post by Lady-Ellie »

jessica3llen wrote:So I decided to watch her youtube video of her new matte shadows... and noticed she has a rusty orange color called Morocco..... and I was like wait a second!

That exact color with that name is in the ABH Amrezy palette and part of their collection :| :?
But makeup companies are trying to copy her guys! Oh wait... ABH came out with it first!
Sooooo many people have noticed that too and have commented on it. I'm wondering if she'll up and change the name.. Not say anything of course, just start pushing her "new tequila sunrise color" isn't it awesome you guys!? **see signature below for my opinion of that** :rofl:

ValWinchester1990
Informer
Informer

Post by ValWinchester1990 »

Damn, I wish I had found this thread before I ordered the majority of the new duochrome shadows. I hope they're better than her foiled ones. The colors are stunning, but that's not gonna mean shit if they crease within an hour.....has anyone tried those? (not the pigments, the actual shadows)

luchadora0112
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by luchadora0112 »

ValWinchester1990 wrote:Damn, I wish I had found this thread before I ordered the majority of the new duochrome shadows. I hope they're better than her foiled ones. The colors are stunning, but that's not gonna mean shit if they crease within an hour.....has anyone tried those? (not the pigments, the actual shadows)
I haven't tried them but TotalMakeupJunkie101 has a great video on them. Basically, what I gather is that they aren't as duochrome as the swatches on the website would have you believe. Which I kind of figured. Since it is a different formula than the foiled shadows I doubt they will crease. The foiled shadows crease because they are so "wet" and don't actually set (dry). Anyway, good luck with your purchase! Let us know how it works out for you!

LurkLurkLurk43
Learner
Learner

Post by LurkLurkLurk43 »

This seems like a good place to ask - do we know who makes the brushes now? I like the shape of a couple of the foundation brushes but I don't really want to give them any money because they behave so unprofessionally.

thereissomanyemailt
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by thereissomanyemailt »

luchadora0112 wrote:So I decided to watch her youtube video of her new matte shadows... and noticed she has a rusty orange color called Morocco..... and I was like wait a second!

ever heard of dupes?

thereissomanyemailt
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by thereissomanyemailt »

luchadora0112 wrote:So I decided to watch her youtube video of her new matte shadows... and noticed she has a rusty orange color called Morocco..... and I was like wait a second!

ever heard of dupes?

whereisthetea1
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by whereisthetea1 »

They are def over priced!

Mischief

Post by Mischief »

Archived
And so I cry sometimes when I'm lying in bed...Just to get it all out, what's in my head...And I, I am feeling a little peculiar...And so I wake in the morning and I step outside...And I take a deep breath and I get real high...And I scream from the top of my lungs..."What's going on?"...

Return to “MakeupGeekTV”