How much should be put on Facebook?

BellaJane
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: How much should be put on Facebook?

Post by BellaJane »

So I'm bumping this just to let you all know that oversharing on Facebook has gone to a WHOLE new level. I was on my sister's FB today and the top story was a photograph of a child's toilet with a bunch of shit in it. Some stupid woman was so excited that her kid shit in the toilet that she TOOK A PHOTO of it and POSTED IT ON FACEBOOK.

If I knew her, I would so seriously punch her in the face.

ItsRawrzz
Informer
Informer

Post by ItsRawrzz »

I use facebook as a way to show pictures of all the cows/sheep I see on my travels, my pets (alive and dead -- the pictures are of them in the living flesh though... just to clarify) and for me to attempt to be funny by posting statuses related to stupid me/blonde moments and what have you.

I know how to live.

But some people really like to overshare. My niece being one of them... I pretty much now know her whole life, and she lives hours away from me. She's 15 so I guess that counts for something... but every argument, "hard act" is on there for all to see... it's truly something.

rollietrollypollie
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by rollietrollypollie »

allcarriedaway wrote:Far too many people don't think about the repercussions that sharing every single thought they have on social media could bring. There was a girl who was trying to get into nursing school who said really nasty stuff about people on government assistance nearly everyday on her facebook. Someone got into an argument with her about it and told her that they wondered how good her chances of getting into the nursing program were with all those horrible things posted on her wall. She freaked out and deleted everything but people screencapped those statuses and post them to her facebook quite a lot. She probably won't be able to get into her nursing program now.
I deleted my Facebook October of last year. But before I started my nursing program they actually asked to see my profile :D every school varies. I didn't care since there wasn't much on my profile anyway.
This is the deep and dying breath of, this love that we've been working on.

TaylorKnows
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by TaylorKnows »

Many people found out that my aunt was dead because my uncle posted it on Facebook, including immediate family. He was a mess after she died but his kids had to disable his Facebook for a few days. I knew before then, but my brother didn't and he was kinda hurt that he found out via Facebook, as were a few other family members. He should've thought before he posted...ugh. That really bothered me.

whereicomefrom
Informer
Informer

Post by whereicomefrom »

A good friend of mine found out her boss was totally stalking her via Facebook. She didn't even really know how he managed it, since it wasn't just stalking her but sort of hacking into her profile or something! Jeez. More people should realize the implications of what they do online (not my friend, specifically - she's actually very private on Facebook and hardly uploads anything)

NotAZombie

Post by NotAZombie »

People have been airing too much dirty laundry, I often get second hand embarrassment from them. It has been getting worse these days to the point I wish I could whack them all in the face and ask them if they ever feel embarrassed at all.

AuntieToABabyBoy:)
Talker
Talker

Post by AuntieToABabyBoy:) »

I don't even do much on my facebook. I don't even write statuses lol! I agree that people put too much of their business on there and I think it's ridiculous. Also the LMS (like my status) thing is getting so old i'm not sure if you guys get them on your newsfeed but I do all the time!! and to the person that said something about a lady posting her sons shit on fb I just want to say that's disguisting and why would she do that???
Being a auntie is the best gift in the world and when I become a mother my life would be perfect <3 :)

AngelPrincess
Informer
Informer

Post by AngelPrincess »

How do you guys feel about posting pictures of your kids on facebook? I got into a debate with my coworkers over it the other day. One of them just had her first grandchild and she was talking about how she just wants to take pictures of him and my manger told her that she should NEVER post pictures of the baby on facebook and she agreed and I asked whats so wrong with it? I never add people I don't talk to, only close friends and family so I don't see anything wrong with posting pictures of your children. As long as its not something embarrassing or inappropriate. that can haunt the child in the future, like a naked picture I don't see anything wrong with a picture every once in a while.

AngelPrincess
Informer
Informer

Post by AngelPrincess »

How do you guys feel about posting pictures of your kids on facebook? I got into a debate with my coworkers over it the other day. One of them just had her first grandchild and she was talking about how she just wants to take pictures of him and my manger told her that she should NEVER post pictures of the baby on facebook and she agreed and I asked whats so wrong with it? I never add people I don't talk to, only close friends and family so I don't see anything wrong with posting pictures of your children. As long as its not something embarrassing or inappropriate. that can haunt the child in the future, like a naked picture I don't see anything wrong with a picture every once in a while.

TaylorKnows
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by TaylorKnows »

I don't see the harm as long as her child's okay with the pics going up. (And by that I mean your co-worker's child, not her grandchild lol) I only have people I really know on Facebook, with the exception of a few online friends I've gotten to know and trust super well. My mom doesn't even post pics of herself, just my brother and I. Anyone with kids on my Facebook is always posting pics and I don't see a problem with it. I agree as long as it isn't embarrassing, I'm cool with it. Now if they're old enough (like my brother and I) to say "No, I don't want that picture up there" (like we tell our mom) then they should listen, but that's about it. My Facebook's also super private though. You can't see shit other than my profile pic unless we're friends.

BUT people have their own opinions of what they want to share. Like I said, my mom puts pics of my brother and I up on FB, but none of her. In fact the only ones she has of herself on her FB are ones she was tagged in by friends and family. She just doesn't like herself in pictures. So I guess some could call her odd in that sense.

loopyloo
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by loopyloo »

AngelPrincess wrote:How do you guys feel about posting pictures of your kids on facebook? I got into a debate with my coworkers over it the other day. One of them just had her first grandchild and she was talking about how she just wants to take pictures of him and my manger told her that she should NEVER post pictures of the baby on facebook and she agreed and I asked whats so wrong with it? I never add people I don't talk to, only close friends and family so I don't see anything wrong with posting pictures of your children. As long as its not something embarrassing or inappropriate. that can haunt the child in the future, like a naked picture I don't see anything wrong with a picture every once in a while.
I think it's okay with little kids as long as you use your privacy settings. I think once kids are older they should have the final say. I was on a forum a while back and a mummy blogger was freaking out because her oldest daughter said she didn't want to be on the blog. The mum wrote a lot about her daughter's medical condition and the daughter didn't want future employers/friends/boyfriends being able to find out all her personal information before she is ready to tell them. The mum was freaking out because she knew the blog would not be as appealing to followers without her daughter on there. I say tough!

NotAZombie

Post by NotAZombie »

As long as the photos are decent and you are not putting them in public, I think they are fine, but some people just don't like sharing too many photos even with friends, like myself.

TaylorKnows
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by TaylorKnows »

Speaking of pictures being taken without permission, my cousin just posted something about a stranger popping up out of nowhere and taking a picture of her and her baby with her phone. She says she hopes it doesn't end up on some site and I hope the same. My cousin's baby girl is cute but that's just too weird.

BellaJane
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by BellaJane »

TaylorKnows wrote:Speaking of pictures being taken without permission, my cousin just posted something about a stranger popping up out of nowhere and taking a picture of her and her baby with her phone. She says she hopes it doesn't end up on some site and I hope the same. My cousin's baby girl is cute but that's just too weird.
Someone did that to one of the little girls I used to nanny for! Me, the girl and her mother dressed the baby up like a gingerbread cookie and went Christmas shopping. Some creepy old dude ran up while we were sitting on the water fountain and took a photo of the three of us and walked away! The mother ended up chasing her down and telling her to delete it while I just sat there like "wtf?!" I thought it was so creepy and I was really grateful I'd gone shopping with them and she was able to chase him down. Ugh some people are weirdos

whereicomefrom
Informer
Informer

Post by whereicomefrom »

^ That is so creepy!

When my sister was younger, like 15 years ago, and we were touring Europe, Asian tourists always wanted to take pictures with her! She was very fair and doll-like, maybe that was appealing for them haha? But they'd always be so super nice to my parents and to her.. also this is years before Facebook.
Today, I'm not sure I would let a random stranger take a photo of my child (not that I have any ATM).. maybe I've seen too much Law and Order SVU!

AngelPrincess
Informer
Informer

Post by AngelPrincess »

thanks guys for you input on the whole posting pictures of your kids on facebook. like I said I don't see anything wrong with it. I know when I have my first child I'm probably gonna lose friends over the amount of pictures that I post. lol

ggeyeliner
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by ggeyeliner »

Being mother myself I am not fan of it. I do not have single picture of my children on Facebook and I do not plan to do it in future either.
But I do think it is okay if that album have privacy settings... Like only family sees them. But if they are open to everyone... I don't know :/

Did you guys read that news how some people had commun on facebook where they put up random pictures of babies what they found on facebook from random people accounts whos pictures were public... And then they commented them very rude way(like ugly and fat) and nobody couldn't do anything because those pictures were public and they didn't do anything wrong.
ENGLISH ISN'T MY FIRST LANGUAGE. Sorry for misunderstandings!

People should read everything, not the first 5 words and judge!

Return to “Facebook”