Here is the trailer

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The Hunger Games Catching Fire

Post by Angie V »

Is the second book good? I heard it's the least interesting in the series. I've only read the first one.

I'm not very excited because I didn't think the first movie was all that great. It was okay, but after I saw it, it didn't leave any sort of impression on me. Like... I literally forgot I watched it after a few days. I was thinking about what movie I wanted to watch and I thought "oh, Hunger Games! wait.... no I just saw that" =/
imma ball til the day i fall

canaduh
Informer
Informer

Post by canaduh »

angie_v wrote:Is the second book good? I heard it's the least interesting in the series. I've only read the first one.

I'm not very excited because I didn't think the first movie was all that great. It was okay, but after I saw it, it didn't leave any sort of impression on me. Like... I literally forgot I watched it after a few days. I was thinking about what movie I wanted to watch and I thought "oh, Hunger Games! wait.... no I just saw that" =/
I thought the second book was really good and I couldn't put it down. I ended up finishing it in one day which is bad because it was my English book that I was suppose to read over the semester lol

losiento
Informer
Informer

Post by losiento »

the second book was my favorite. the last book was boring. i hope the movie is good... the first movie was okay but i mean, jennifer lawrance is so tall i cant see her as katniss. she is even taller than the average female heights and katniss constantly tells us how she's so small and light that she can climb tall trees and dangle from the thinnest branch possible. :(

Gaga
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Gaga »

The second book is the best in the series to me! I feel like the third book was too influenced by outside sources kind-of like Breaking Dawn was... Too much happens in the third book that seems very out of character, and the overall feel of the novel is just clunky.

The final trailer that was just released gives me hope for the second movie! The Jabberjay/Prim scene from the trailer was soo good! I was freaking out just from the trailer.

hollaatmegurl
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by hollaatmegurl »

I'm so excited for it to come out, ugh. I hadn't read the books beforehand but after I see Catching Fire I'll probably read them.

BellaJane
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by BellaJane »

I'm excited, I thought the second book was amazing; I agree with others that it was the third that wasn't up to par. I read the first book for a college class about three months after it came out. It wasn't even supposed to be on the syllabus, but the TA loved it so much when she read it that she took a Laurie Halse Anderson book off the list and put THG in its place :) I fell in absolute freaking love. So yeah needless to say I'm totally fangirling over the Catching Fire release. But I borderline ruined THG for myself with all of the trailers and sneak peeks and whatnot...so I've avoided ALL of it this time around. But I have already bought my theater ticket :)

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Angie V »

BellaJane wrote:I'm excited, I thought the second book was amazing; I agree with others that it was the third that wasn't up to par. I read the first book for a college class about three months after it came out. It wasn't even supposed to be on the syllabus, but the TA loved it so much when she read it that she took a Laurie Halse Anderson book off the list and put THG in its place :) I fell in absolute freaking love. So yeah needless to say I'm totally fangirling over the Catching Fire release. But I borderline ruined THG for myself with all of the trailers and sneak peeks and whatnot...so I've avoided ALL of it this time around. But I have already bought my theater ticket :)
Aw, I like laurie halse anderson!
imma ball til the day i fall

dazzle
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by dazzle »

I'm really excited. I loved the books. I reread the first one today because it's gonna be on TV here on Sunday, and next week I'll reread Catching Fire.

Honestly, I think compared to other screen adaptions, The Hunger Games was pretty good. I loved Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss, and even though I thought I wouldn't, I also really liked Josh Hutcherson as Peeta. Things like height don't bother me, the most important thing is that the actors capture the essence of their characters, which to me was the case.

Catching Fire hopefully is gonna be real good, can't wait to see Finnick and all the others.
I'd rather drink a cup of acid after chewing on a razor blade.

losiento
Informer
Informer

Post by losiento »

oh my god. do you guys like that dude who got cast as Finnick? I mean, we can't really judge without watching the movie but ugh he is soo not finnick, he is so not attractive. what the heck~!!~!~

dolly
Learner
Learner

Post by dolly »

I'm so excited for this! Its my favourite book-to-screen adapted movie series. The first one was amazing so I have high hopes for this one. Going to try to re-read the book this week to jog my memory. It was also my favourite book of the series :)

ItsRawrzz
Informer
Informer

Post by ItsRawrzz »

I went to see the film with my flatmates... I'd seen most of the first one on Netflix and it didn't blow me away. And as far as overhyped film series goes... Hunger Games 2 was good. Harry Potter and Twilight were so-so... (actually Twilight was way worse) and I went into the cinema with few expectations for this film... but I was surprised; pleasantly, I think.

However, having never read the books, I don't know how close the dialogue in the film is with the book... I sincerely hope it wasn't because there were a few Katniss and (Peeta?) lines that I had to laugh at... it was so cringeworthy and cliché. I felt almost embarrassed that they had to say those things XD.

The action was good, and I'm intrigued (unfortunately) to find out what happens next. I say "unfortunately" because I've heard that they've decided to make the last film into two parts... which is stupid, and it does nothing for me as a viewer, and I could happily not watch it as a result. It irks me that these big films have to do that, and most of the time I just don't bother... except with HP... because that was something my dad wanted to see and they weren't too bad either.

HattieChaos
Naughty
Naughty

Post by HattieChaos »

I saw it on Thursday and adored it. I'm hearing from a lot of people that the general consensus is that the first film was better and that this one was overhyped, I agree with it being overhyped but it is far better than the first in my opinion. For the most part, it stays true to the book and the acting is spot on, there is just the right amount of tension and this time, the film actually convinces you that what is happening is dangerous and life-threatening and not just going camping with your mates and a bow and arrow. There are a few cringeworthy moments and slightly too many kiss scenes for my liking, but maybe they meant it to be that way to get across the fact they're faking it? Either way, I loved it!

hollaatmegurl
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by hollaatmegurl »

Just saw it earlier today and loved it. I haven't read any of the books so I can't say much for book-to-movie comparisons, but I thought it was really good. Uuuugh I'm gonna hate waiting for the last two movies now.

TallButShort

Post by TallButShort »

I hated the second book so my expectations were not very high! I LOVED IT! It was so much better than the first one and they stayed more true to the book (minus Peeta not having an artificial leg; don't get me started) I like how they added a few lines to make it funny! I don't remember those in the book but I like when they add a few things like that.

This book was probably the best book to movie adaptation I've ever seen!

dazzle
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by dazzle »

It was definitely one of the best screen adaptions since Lord of the Rings! I absolutely loved it, and the comic relief scenes were great, too. They did a great job and I'm absolutely enthralled.
I'd rather drink a cup of acid after chewing on a razor blade.

dolly
Learner
Learner

Post by dolly »

I thought it was a great adaption too, and I really enjoyed it. Finnick is a beautiful creature, he played the part perfectly!

Gaga
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Gaga »

I loved it!! I was teary-eyed through most of the movie.. I was one of those people ragging on Sam Claflin, but he was amazing as Finnick. I wish the arena scenes were a bit more expanded, and that we saw more of Peeta towards the end. I loved how "real" the uprising/revolting scenes were. It reminded me of Libya (on a lesser scale) and all the revolutions that were happening in the past year or so. I wish they would have added in more visual clues/scenes from the book about how involved Plutarch was... Non-book readers may have wondered why he went from "kill them all" to "save Katniss" so quickly in the movie. I liked the addition of Snow's granddaughter to show how influential Katniss actually was... I don't remember his granddaughter being mentioned in the book?

**Question for book readers**
Since Mockingjay is being split into two movies (I don't even think book 3 is meaty enough to be split) where do you think they will split? I don't know how to do the spoiler thingy, but what if they showed ******* choking ****** and faded to black as the end of Mockingjay part one? How climatic would that be??

Izabella

Post by Izabella »

Catching Fire was REALLY good, everyone stepped their acting game up.

Peeta and his emotions. Sometimes he stole a scene with just a look on his face. Finding out about the QQ on TV, holding that morphling until she died, etc.
JLaw of course was also good. Some highlights for me was when she was going up to the arena after seeing Cinna.. she managed to capture fear, upset, confused, and determination all within seconds. Also the end with her face, managed to go from confused, scared, angry and ready to fight.
Loved Joanna, Finnick, the gamekeeper forgot his name, beetie (?) etc. All were excellent choices for the role.
Loved the costumes and the extravagant party (ooh mahogany!)
Also other scenes I loved: the Rue speech and seeing her family, JLaw kicking ass in training, the acting in the jabberjackers scene, Joanna's strip and her wink, Prim and the mom raising their three fingers first

whereicomefrom
Informer
Informer

Post by whereicomefrom »

HattieChaos wrote:I saw it on Thursday and adored it. I'm hearing from a lot of people that the general consensus is that the first film was better and that this one was overhyped, I agree with it being overhyped but it is far better than the first in my opinion. For the most part, it stays true to the book and the acting is spot on, there is just the right amount of tension and this time, the film actually convinces you that what is happening is dangerous and life-threatening and not just going camping with your mates and a bow and arrow. There are a few cringeworthy moments and slightly too many kiss scenes for my liking, but maybe they meant it to be that way to get across the fact they're faking it? Either way, I loved it!
That's so weird, I feel like everyone is saying this one was better than the first. As for the overhyped thing, I guess what happened is that a lot of people got into the series about watching The Hunger Games, and then (maybe) reading the books, and not the other way around (personally, I read them about 6 months before THG) so there was a lot more anticipation overall.

I've seen it twice in the cinema, the second time with my sister who also wanted to go see it a second time and jeeeez I couldn't get over how good it was. I have such a girl crush on Jennifer Lawrence ever since Silver Linings Playbook and she is amazing.
Most of all though, I think Francis Lawrence is amazing. He directed this film, but not the first one, and I feel like it shows a lot. While I loved the casting choices, for the most part, for The Hunger Games, I felt like I didn't love how characters were portrayed. And with this movie, I think what FL has done with Katniss' character, for example, is made her so much more likeable -- to me, that's mindblowing because I don't think Katniss in the book is likeable at all! I also had a lot more love for Peeta in this movie.

Honestly, one of the best adaptations I've seen. Not loving Mockingjay Pt 1. and 2., though. I agree that it's not necessary, and it was also my least favorite book...

Return to “Movies”