Documentary Recommendations?

alanarosetti__xo
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Documentaries?

Post by alanarosetti__xo »

Capitalism: A Love Story, and Child of Rage are really good!
"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut

Suspiria
Informer
Informer

Post by Suspiria »

Anyone see this on tumblr?

[youtube][/youtube]

AN0N.
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by AN0N. »

I've watched most of the ones on Netflix

Netflix has an AMAZING selection

Lately I have been into the Holocaust one's though..... interesting and sad :(
I've been watching them for days

Maris Crane
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Maris Crane »

Recent watches...

The Age of AIDS
Hiroshima
Dr. Money and the Boy with No Penis
Phil Spector's Demons
When You're Strange...
Welcome to North Korea
Friends of Kim
When We Were Kings
Bobby Fischer Against the World

Maris Crane
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Maris Crane »

alanarosetti__xo wrote: and Child of Rage are really good!
I to this day, can only get through the first 10 minutes of Child of Rage... :o

rara
Lurker
Lurker

Post by rara »

I LOVE documentaries!

"Jonestown: The Life and Death of People's Temple"
Really good documentary about the cult founded by Jim Jones that committed mass suicide in the 70's. It's such a sad story. Parents injected their own children with poison in order to have them join them in death. Absolutely horrendous. The documentary can be found on youtube.

"Black Tar Heroin"
I find drug addiction very interesting, so I've watched loads of documentaries about it and this one is definitely my favorite. It tells the tragic stories of a number of heroin addicts living in San Fransisco in the 90's. With some searching you are able to find out how the addicts are doing today. Some are doing better, some are not among us anymore. Very sad. This documentary can be found on youtube.

"Swansea Love Story"
Another documentary about drugs and a few other topics. The documentary explores the city of Swansea in Wales and some of the problems their society is experiencing. It follows mainly a heroin addicted couple, but also includes other addicts and other individuals.

I also warmly recommend documentaries by LOUIS THEROUX. He's such a good story teller and his documentaries are about the most interesting topics. His interviewing style has this special spark to it that really makes people open up. I've enjoyed almost all of his documentaries, but I'll give you a few suggestions:

"A Place for Pedophiles"
"America's Medicated Kids"
"The City Addicted to Crystal Meth"
"Louis and the Nazis"
"The Most Hated Family in America"
"Extreme Love: Autism"
"Extreme Love: Dementia"

He also did quite a fun one about swingers for his "Weird Weekends"-series.

TaylorKnows
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by TaylorKnows »

I like them. I watch them pretty often, especially since I'm taking Medical Anthropology and Psychology. They're mostly about health, nutrition and inner peace, but they are pretty interesting. I watched one (I forget the name) but the original focus was just supposed to be about this famous yoga instructor that taught a class in NYC and how he's changed people's lives. But during filming, the twin towers were attacked. That day he still had class and helped the people get passed it all with inner peace. It was pretty interesting. And in Psychology right now we're watching "The Bridge" and it's about people that have jumped off The Golden Gate Bridge...real eye opener.
[youtube][/youtube]

Nala78
Lurker
Lurker

Re: Documentary Recommendations?

Post by Nala78 »

If you are in the mood to cry for days watch dear Zachary. Heartbreaking. It's on us netflix I believe.

Jasperkitten1
Informer
Informer

Post by Jasperkitten1 »

Up is really good I watched it when it aired in the uk! I loved girl model (I'm sure that's the name) young girls win a model comp to work in japan. They are often from Croatia or Russia and can't speak the language the company just dumps them in the middle if Japan pretty much.

I loved the cove but the last ten/twenty minutes are heart breaking if you love dolphins however the message is important as not many people know the dolphin cullings happen. As is blackfish a good watch also Lolita slave to entertainment (I really don't think whales belong in captivity so I love docs about that)
The fastest Indian is a film that is true to the story of a man who set the land speed record on his own modified. Bike on the salt lakes. It's still a record that stands today and probably won't be broken

kayleeee
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by kayleeee »

Jiro Dreams of Sushi; it's about an 85 year old sushi chef and his restaurant. It's kind of hard to watch if you aren't use to subtitles. It was just really calming to watch for some reason.
lazygirlbusyworld.wordpress.com check out my blog

sapage89
Debater
Debater

Post by sapage89 »

Raccoon Nation. Its about raccoons being able to adapt and survive in just about any environment. Its on Netflix.
Using Tapatalk

rensays
Informer
Informer

Post by rensays »

Jiro Dreams of Sushi was artistically exquisite. A theme of inspiring life-long dedication.

I also recommend Forks Over Knives!

rensays
Informer
Informer

Post by rensays »

Jiro Dreams of Sushi was artistically exquisite. A theme of inspiring life-long dedication.

I also recommend Forks Over Knives!

VillageTravisty
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by VillageTravisty »

Underwater Dreams
It takes a village to raise a child, especially when the child's parents are two village idiots.

bunnybutt420
Informer
Informer

Post by bunnybutt420 »

- The Corporation (2003) is one of my favourite docs of all time! This 26 award-winning documentary examines the nature, evolution, impacts and future of the modern business corporation and the increasing role it plays in society and our everyday lives.
- Born Rich (2003) - A documentary on children of the insanely rich. Directed by one of their own, Johnson & Johnson heir, Jamie Johnson
- BBC documentaries are class. Check out Panorama series for exposés, current affairs ect (check out their scientology episodes! Mind blowing stuff). If science is more your thing, check out the Horizon series. They did a great one recently on the missing Malaysia air flight.
- Very entertaining, Penn and Teller's Bullshit has something for the cynic in all of us. I love their exposés on alternative medicine, creationism ect ect

Everything I listed is available on youtube :HK:

eleventhirty
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by eleventhirty »

Jiro Dreams of Sushi

Grizzly man

Alone in the wilderness (this one has got to be the most interesting and relaxing one I've ever watched.)

CoralCat
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by CoralCat »

I like ones about children/students/teenagers/mental illness I'm not sure if that's weird or not, my favourites are:

I'm a Child anorexic-about an inpatient anorexia clinic called Rhodes Farm that takes in young girls (and occasionally boys) with extreme anorexia
I'm a boy anorexic- same as above but focusing on 3 boys as they recover at Rhodes Farm
Child Of Rage-bit tense/sad/scary but has a happy ending and Beth's doing amazingly now
Harrow: a very British school-it's kind of a documentary, it's a few episodes long and it follows a few boys during their life at Harrow
and basically anything by Louis Threoux but especially America's most medicated kids and A place for pedophiles, unfortunately I can no longer watch them on youtube as they're unavailable in my country now

There's probably loads I haven't thought of yet too

Sissy
Talker
Talker

Post by Sissy »

One of the best documentaries about film is The Story of Film: An Odyssey by Mark Cousins. It basically covers the whole spectrum of film making history. It's long, 15 episodes, but very much worth the watch. The series is based on a book he wrote about the subject.

It's roughly divided in decades and styles. It's shows small clips of a lot of films. Really, really recommend it.

Another documentary well worth the watch is 'the Celluloid Closet'. It's a documentary made in 1981 about queer cinéma throughout the ages.

Hicox
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by Hicox »

Whores Glory, It's a Girl, The Invisible War, 5 Broken Cameras, How to Die in Oregon, Cutie and the Boxer, Stories We Tell, The Act of Killing. They're all on Netflix if you have an account

Sue
Learner
Learner

Post by Sue »

Zealous Lace wrote:If you're into medical documentaries one of the best to watch is called Anatomy for Beginners. The series is conducted by Dr Gunther von Hagens and Professor John A. Lee where they explain the main systems in the body (circulation, movement, digestion, and reproduction) through diagrams, human models, and -the most controversial aspect- live autopsies.
Here's a link to full episodes from Channel 4's YT:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAD28807C7BBB0733
If you can handle the medical gore, the series is brilliant, unique, and very informative. There are also 2 more in the same (mind the pun) vein where Dr Gunther explores illness, and emergency medicine.
I remember watching them when it was on TV here! Tonights tv is sorted now! ;D

Return to “Movies”