"Horns" with Daniel Radcliffe (Spoilers/Discussion)

ItsRawrzz
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

"Horns" with Daniel Radcliffe (Spoilers/Discussion)

Post by ItsRawrzz »

I read the reviews after seeing the film tonight, and I don't get the poor comments. True, it was neither a horror, mystery or a comedy, and there were scenes where I thought "really, is that necessary?" but overall, that film was actually really good in my opinion.

Spoilers ahead...
The whole plot, I thought, was well done... especially with the Devil making people reveal the inner thoughts of everyone. It just rang true to me, in so many ways. There was a very blunt honesty about it which I loved, and there were some scenes that just made me really feel for the main character. However, I saw the killer a mile away, though the film redeemed itself by having a bit of a good scene regarding that with the necklace... kind of anyway.

There was one thing that got on my nerves. Why did her necklace seem to be the thing that saved him? I understand that God is symbolised to be more powerful than the Devil, but why did everyone make the girl seem pure? She technically committed one of the seven sins by having pre-marital sex (lust, being one of the sins) and so surely that would make her otherwise unpure? Though I do realise, compared to everyone else, she was a saint hahaha. Regardless, I felt like I would have felt for her more if she had "saved herself for him in marriage"... though she wasn't going to marry him. I am not religious in anyway, but I just feel like that would have made me like her more, and made the scene of her death so much more horrific for me. But yeah, her love for Ig saved him, I just would have preferred something a bit more pure... in a way.

Other than that, I loved the film. I didn't get the poor reviews, as I mentioned earlier. My one favourite line (not word for word) was when Ig said to the girl's dad about committing the sin that you could live with, in regards to killing the man responsible for his daughter's death.

One complaint, so to speak, is the bullet to the knee. I have a weird phobia sort of thing of knees, and cried from that point in the film, to the end.
TL;DR... what were your thoughts on the film? Liked it or no? Were the negative (50% reviews on Rotten Tomatoes) true, or did you think it deserved more/less?

VeronicaSawyer

Re: "Horns" with Daniel Radcliffe (Spoilers/Discussion)

Post by VeronicaSawyer »

I don't know if I will see this movie. I LOVE Alex Aja, he's one of my favorite horror directors. The issue is, I absolutely loved the book. Joe Hill has become one of my favorite authors, tbh I enjoy his work maybe even better than his father's (Stephen King).

The casting of Daniel Radcliffe was pretty much the polar opposite of how his character is written in the book, so based on that, I'm afraid that they didn't have respect for the source material and the film will let me down. Haven't even been able to bring myself to watch the trailer yet.

Return to “Movies”