alternatives to working retail/food service

glitterandgold
Wallflower
Wallflower
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

alternatives to working retail/food service

Post by glitterandgold »

i reallly hate working retail! i was wondering if you guys know of any entry level etc jobs that you can get with little to no experience? some of my friends are "direct support" at a nursing home but you need a license for that. i don't have a license. i also don't live near a big city so it's hard to find local businesses and there aren't any temp agencies near me.. i'm in college so i need a flexible schedule. i'm going for mental health.

BellaJane
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Re: alternatives to working retail/food service

Post by BellaJane »

You can work at a daycare, a library, post office...doing phone sales or customer service...there really are a lot of options.
Check job boards like Indeed and SimplyHired, they have everything from minimum wage retail to office clerk to anesthesiologist.

MamatoanAngel
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by MamatoanAngel »

I've heard strip clubs pay well. ;)

Llama
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Llama »

I have no experience with it but working at the post office is probably just as bad as retail. If you're waiting in line, you'll really feel the grumpy atmosphere. There's always people who haven't received their packages or mail and bitch at the cashier, etc. and everybody's impatient since it moves so slow. Well, I guess if you're working at the back it's not too bad.

Izabella

Post by Izabella »

- I don't know what you mean by retail but if you're talking about not being a sales associate, you can be a cashier without having to sell things (cashier at grocery stores, cashier at book stores, cashier at HMV, etc.)

- Also relating to retail, I know some stores like Victoria Secret hire people who work when it's closed to re-stock everything, collect deliveries, make sure the store has everything it needs, etc. perfect for people who don't want to deal with customers but it's usually late at night/early in the morning so I guess it doesn't fit with your schedule

-Going off of that, work at a grocery store and be one of those people who always re-stock products, don't need to deal with customers except when they ask you if you know where something is

-You can work at a movie theatres, sell tickets or collect the tickets, but I heard you have to start off at the concession stand and work your way up to the easy jobs with tickets, it's what my movie theatre here does at least

-Sell tickets at one of those sports centres

-Work as a reception.. I know some girls in high school who had reception jobs but got it through knowing someone.. I've applied for tons of reception jobs and never heard anything, seems like one of those jobs that you need experience but can't gain any since no one will hire you. You could try being a reception at a hair salon or something, I always see kijiji ads for that.

-Work at a library

-Work at a dry cleaners.. my friend works there and she just sits there and listens to music and goes on her laptop all day

-This may sound weird but work at a hookah bar. I worked at one before but quit after two weeks (sexual harassment so make sure to pick a professional one) and it was so easy. You make flavours and give them the hookah, some have a bar where you make drinks while others you just serve bottles drinks. Hookah bars are super popular in Toronto but it could be hard if you're in an area where it's not a big thing, also if you're really bothered by second hand smoke then stay away

-Factory entry-level jobs

Those are the only ones I could think of for now. Working as a waitress really is a good part-time job in my opinion. I don't know about the states because I heard they earn a lesser wage but in Canada the tips you make on top of the wage is so good for such an easy job in my opinion. Once you've done it for months it gets easy. On a slow night you make anywhere from $40-$80 but on a good night you could walk out with $100-$200 in tips alone or even $300+ depending on which restaurant you work at

JustGlow

Post by JustGlow »

*removed*

JillyBean08
Learner
Learner

Post by JillyBean08 »

Try finding a temp agency. I did that during summers off from college and made great money. I worked in many offices, including banks, engineering firms, healthcare and insurance doing office work- this can always lead to a potential permenent job if they like you. It gives you great experience and builds up your résumé as well. You could also look into working for a catering business, or(if you're old enough) look into becoming bar back to become a bartender.

Return to “Work”