Henna hair dyes?

hollaatmegurl
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Henna hair dyes?

Post by hollaatmegurl »

Hey folks. Wondering if any of you have colored your hair using henna before, and what your thoughts are on it, would you recommend it, any favorite brands, etc.

I just ordered some off of HennaKing today (brand is Henna Maiden I think) and I'm really excited to try it. My hair has been through absolute fuckin hell and I just want to be done messing with it, no more chemical shit, yada yada. And other than being healthy for your hair and junk, I figured using henna would kinda force me to stop tinkering with my hair since it can't be bleached out and you aren't supposed to use permanent dyes over it.

SO. Your experiences?

meigum
Wallflower
Wallflower
Been thanked: 0

Re: Henna hair dyes?

Post by meigum »

My experience using henna hair dyes... it's messy. A full day process for me, personally. However, it's pretty good for your hair. I used Henna color lab's organic henna for my hair and it worked just fine. It makes your hair feel squeaky clean but I guess that cause they require you to shampoo before and after you use it. However, whether or not the color is prominent depends on what color you're using. The normal red henna is the most prominent. I used henna mixed with indigo to get black, and then another pack that made dark blue, which was also henna mixed with indigo but I guess in a different ratio. My hair was much more darker with the blue pack, which made my hair almost black. My hair rn is currently dark brown. Yet it was noticeable for a few days! Definitely pay attention to the reviews. It wasn't a waste of money I would say. I felt fine using it and had no reservations except that it was so messy for my bathtub.

sweet2mechii
Learner
Learner

Post by sweet2mechii »

Looks like I'm late :D If somebody is going to use henna on their hair, they must know that they can't put permanent dye on it afterwards. Also if you have coloured your hair before:

"Most resources I have looked at say that pure henna (Lawsonia inermis) does not react badly with previously chemically-treated hair. The problem only arises if the brand you buy has additives, synthetic dyes or metallic salts. Read the ingredients or use body art quality henna. Colors of henna other than red often have some additives to get those other shades.

Tips:
Mix in a plastic or glass bowl. You can add cinnamon to make it smell a bit better.
Rub vaseline or something like it around the edges of your hairline and neck.
Wear gloves.
Wear clothes you don't care about, cover the floor-- You will make a mess, it's hard to keep bits of it from flying around the room.
After you've smothered your hair in it, wrap your head up in a plastic bag.
Wipe off any chunks from your skin immediately.
It dyes better with heat so use a blow dryer on your plastic wrapped head. Feel silly yet? Hee heee!
Do that for an hour or as long as you can stand.
Rinse it out. There will be A LOT of mud to wash out.
I don't have any recommendation on shampoos, whatever works.
You won't need to condition it after you wash it out the first time.

Enjoy your beautiful new hair color!"

I coloured my hair with henna about 2 years ago, cut up plastic bag and put it over the sink, left it only for 30 minutes cuz I was scared shitless. It turned bright reddish the first day, later everyone thought I had dyed my hair blonde(it's naturally light brown/dark blonde) which is strange cuz henna can't lift up your colour. Would not recommend if you like changing your hair often or plan on lightening it but it's overall conditioning and good for the health of your hair.

Oh and I remember, it smelled like shit at first :o :? or it still smells like shit and my nostrils just got used to it :D Also don't mix the henna in a metal bowl or with a metal spoon cuz it creates a chemical reaction

jessasteel
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by jessasteel »

Just keep in mind that henna hair dyes is just as damaging as drugstore colors.
I tried killing a spider with glitter body spray, now it won't stop stripping & I have to call it Cinnamon.

Post by Guest »

Looks like I'm late here too lol. Thanks @sweet2mechii for the advice about not using permanent dye after henna... I'd been thinking about using this and other 'natural' dyes as I'd heard the usual darker permanent dyes are more toxic or something. I guess I should use semi-permanent instead, I've been told it's less drying apparently.

elisabeth
Talker
Talker

Post by elisabeth »

sweet2mechii wrote:Looks like I'm late :D If somebody is going to use henna on their hair, they must know that they can't put permanent dye on it afterwards. Also if you have coloured your hair before
Why not? I've been using henna and hair color from a box on my hair every month for 10+ years and have never had a problem. Buy pure BAQ henna and you'll be fine. I buy my henna from HennaSooq. The woman who owns it imports the highest quality henna and is super nice and helpful. Henna makes my hair thick and healthy and gives it a pretty red sheen when I'm in natural light. Indoors or when it's cloudy my hair just looks like its natural black color.

Return to “Hair Care”