readerbeware00
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Mr. Safety/DudeLikeHella

Post by readerbeware00 »

[youtube][/youtube]

Guys did you notice the annotations towards the end?! It was a link to youtube.com/mrsafety ...which has no videos yet..so I guess that means it must be Cory's new channel? I hope so! I really liked this video!

ImNoAngel
Talker
Talker

Re: Mr. Safety/DudeLikeHella

Post by ImNoAngel »

Why would he make a new channel? I'm aware SMPFilms isn't making him money anymore but can't he just upload videos on DudeLikeHella?

iainthatin
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by iainthatin »

ImNoAngel wrote:Why would he make a new channel? I'm aware SMPFilms isn't making him money anymore but can't he just upload videos on DudeLikeHella?
See the old thread:
http://www.gurugossiper.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10036

Basically he sold off the rights to all his channels along with a couple other (no doubt regretful) high sub YouTubers. To this company: http://www.thoughtfulmedia.com who are pretty much bogus.

CIK27
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by CIK27 »

I can NOT believe they sold their channels to that shady company. Also, why does that company want their channels anyway? I guess it's because none of the larger Youtubers would sell themselves to them that quickly. :?

iainthatin
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by iainthatin »

CIK27 wrote: Also, why does that company want their channels anyway?

Because it's an absolutely brilliant scheme. They get all the $$$ from the ads and views on those channels. They might even have the YouTubers under contract that they have to make new specific content just to make sure views/interest doesn't stagnate entirely. That may not be the case though, I'm not sure as I've never seen the contract ;)

In any case… not very many YouTubers fell for it. Strangely it was just the highest ranks of old school YouTube that bought the farm. Kate, Cory, VenetianPrincess. I'm assuming Kate and Cory went for it BECAUSE VP did. It was a dumb move for every one of them.

They want these channels not only for the $$$, but also for the control. That BS company is just a front for a bigger entity. The whole goal is to own the old YouTubers who bitch about how much YouTube has changed and how much it sucks now (because it does). There's no time for these crotchety old YouTubers to be talking shit about YouTube. The best part about it COULD be that there's a non-compete in the contract which not only jeopardizes what they can post on YouTube, but potentially makes it so they can't even post on OTHER video platforms (at least not with their original identity/brands) should they arise. Their identity and brand = their entire following/audience. They royally f*cked themselves.

I think their decision to sell to that company actually says a lot about them… true colors if you will.

iainthatin
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by iainthatin »

I mean just check out the "ThoughtfulMedia" FAQ page:
http://www.thoughtfulmedia.com/en/partn ... m-faq.html

It's all MONEY MONEY MONEY, WE'LL MAKE YOU MONEY! ROFL… but look at THIS:
How much money?

More than you’re making now. It’s impossible to generalize, but when we talk, you’ll have a better idea of what will happen in your specific case.

Will I still control my uploads?

Absolutely. Everything about your channel will remain the same, except you’ll be partnered with us. You can still log in and check stats, monitor comments – whatever you do right now. Virtually nothing about your regular routine will change.

You said “virtually” nothing will change. What does “virtually” mean?

You’re detailed oriented, aren’t you? You’ll be able to make more money, so that will change. If you work with a brand, there will be a content approval process. Stuff like that. We’re honestly not trying to trick you here.

It's AMAZING that they go on and on that ADVERTISING is HOW you will "make more money" with them (search the page for how many times they used that phrase, it's absurd). And THEN they have the gaul to say "We're not trying to trick you". Are you KIDDING?!

What that literally says is… the whole point of partnering with us is ADVERTISING, which means your content MUST be approved. They say you can "always say no" to their personalized ads for you… but if you do that, then you make no fucking money, AND whatever you do on your channel they get a share of which means you end up MAKING LESS than you ever did before!!! AMAZING… and they fell for it.

Spankalicious
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Spankalicious »

This guy is just too old for YouTube. He needs to get a REAL JOB.

CinnamonShe
Debater
Debater

Post by CinnamonShe »

I wonder if Cory sought out legal advice about signing that contract. Apparently not. Why sign over something you've put so much blood, sweat, and tears into without making sure all your bases are covered? Seriously, I'd like to know how he benefited (or thought he would).

Age. I don't think Cory's too old for YouTube; he just needs a new gig.

ImNoAngel
Talker
Talker

Post by ImNoAngel »

According to the socialblade page for ThoughtfulMedia
http://socialblade.com/youtube/network/ ... subscribed
DudeLikeHella isn't owned by them. So he can just post his new stuff there like Grace Helbig did with graciehinabox instead of making a completely new channel.

Why did he sell the company anyway? Did he expect to be promoted within the company like Smosh did with Alloy and Philly D did with Revision3?

ImNoAngel
Talker
Talker

Post by ImNoAngel »

Spankalicious wrote:This guy is just too old for YouTube.
Tell that to the Vlogbrothers, Shaycarl, Rhett & Link, and the ERB guys. They're even older than Cory yet their channels are some of the most popular on YT.

CinnamonShe
Debater
Debater

Post by CinnamonShe »

ImNoAngel wrote:
Spankalicious wrote:This guy is just too old for YouTube.
Tell that to the Vlogbrothers, Shaycarl, Rhett & Link, and the ERB guys. They're even older than Cory yet their channels are some of the most popular on YT.
Thank you. There are days when I'd like to see a senior citizen become outrageously popular on YT, despite the supposed demographics.

littlebee
Learner
Learner

Post by littlebee »

ImNoAngel wrote:Why did he sell the company anyway? Did he expect to be promoted within the company like Smosh did with Alloy and Philly D did with Revision3?
He and Kate likely wanted a source of revenue besides what merch they sold and what they got from Youtube (I don't presume to know how much that was, but if their views were going down, they probably started looking elsewhere for a pay check while still wanting to be on Youtube?).

ImNoAngel
Talker
Talker

Post by ImNoAngel »

CinnamonShe wrote:Thank you. There are days when I'd like to see a senior citizen become outrageously popular on YT, despite the supposed demographics.
Always remember that one of the first YouTube stars ever was Geriatric1927.

RIP Geriatric1927 8/20/1927-3/23/2014

iainthatin
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by iainthatin »

ImNoAngel wrote: Always remember that one of the first YouTube stars ever was Geriatric1927.

Interesting, I had never heard of him!!!

Poniesftw
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Poniesftw »

I hope Cory doesn't give up youtube, he has always had such a passion for it. He just needs to remember that internet humor has changed a lot all these years and he needs to change with it. Cheesy songs about mean kitties and putting a paperbag on your head isn't going to cut it anymore. Step up your game and you will succeed! I hope he's still reading here, he does have talent and potential, he just needs to look at things differently, be real, and have fun with it. Stop putting so much pressure on yourself trying to make everything go viral! Even a video with a few thousand views shouldn't be taken for granted.
We are all simply fans that can see through your bullsh*t.

nomsayin
Learner
Learner

Post by nomsayin »

ThoughtfulMedia is a network. Like Maker, or BigFrame, or Machinima, or whatever.

I highly doubt these YTers SOLD their channels to them. They likely entered an agreement to share ad revenue (the main purpose of all YT networks), but got caught in a really sketchy contract. This is nothing new either. Machinima has been known to write up some pretty bullshit legal docs. It's possible that one day ThoughfulMedia just changed the passwords on these accounts and said "Your contract says we can do this. Sorry. BTW, if you talk of this, we'll sue you. Have a nice life."

My guess is that he saw the need to join a network (prior to ThoughtfulMedia) but didn't want to go seeking help from people that he views as friends/peers (Kassem/Shay, MGM, etc) or others that he should be doing better than. Cory is a prideful guy. You know he feels like he should be more successful than Kassem or Shay (or probably a ton of other YTers). He played a part in many YTers success, and he's obviously still trying to figure out what happened (how their trajectory continued up and his stayed the same).

I wouldn't be surprised if he was involved in those initial meetings about forming "The Station" (Maker) and decided against joining**. To later come back and ask them if he could sign up as a peon affiliate wasn't going to happen. And if that's the case, I bet he's really kicking himself these days (re: the Disney buyout).

**If I remember correctly, he was around, as was Charles Trippy, Philip DeFranco, Shane Dawson.. and others. I remember seeing some of the discussions/hangouts on random vlogs. Obviously not everyone that was offered, decided to join. Phil took part for a little while and then said "eff this". Phil isn't going to be stung by regret (with his own truckload of cash), but I wonder how the others that passed feel about it.

nomsayin
Learner
Learner

Post by nomsayin »

Poniesftw wrote:I hope Cory doesn't give up youtube, he has always had such a passion for it. [...] Stop putting so much pressure on yourself trying to make everything go viral! Even a video with a few thousand views shouldn't be taken for granted.

I honestly think this is his main problem. But really, that's what he knows. That's his formula, and the formula for YT success has changed. There are so many more YTers now and that same viralness is so much harder to achieve. He doesn't realize that you have to build an audience/community and continue to feed it. It's not going to happen in one large chunk. His ADD doesn't help at all, but he really needs to FOCUS on one thing to completion. I had hoped that would be "Video Game Logic" but he quit after it didn't go viral in a month. If he'd just focus on one thing, or two things (a couple distinct series), he'd have much more success. People like to know what to expect. And just about every successful YouTube channel follows that rule. They put out a certain quality of video, that is of a certain variety, on a certain regularity. Cory's approach is so scattershot that it's hard for his own audience to follow him or new viewers to latch onto.

I wish he'd just pick one (or two) themes and put out a video for it (at least) once a week for an entire year. The people that want to watch whatever it is in those videos, will find him. He just needs to give it some time.

nomsayin
Learner
Learner

Post by nomsayin »

Also wanted to pour a little gas on the gossip fire... the girl Cory kissed in this video...

[youtube][/youtube]

... seems a little smitten...

Looks like they also spent time together at the beach (different day/different outfit), which she described as a "new chapter in my life"...
http://instagram.com/p/laObYNSRDj/

She also posted a still (the kiss) from the video on her Instagram and tagged it #firstkiss...
http://instagram.com/p/mQaP_MyRDz/

...does that mean there were seconds and thirds??

Welcome to the gossip spotlight, Miss Frances Maurer...
https://twitter.com/Envouge59
http://instagram.com/france_a_million

WetsyBoopLoop
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by WetsyBoopLoop »

nomsayin wrote:Also wanted to pour a little gas on the gossip fire... the girl Cory kissed in this video...

[youtube][/youtube]

... seems a little smitten...

Looks like they also spent time together at the beach (different day/different outfit), which she described as a "new chapter in my life"...
http://instagram.com/p/laObYNSRDj/

She also posted a still (the kiss) from the video on her Instagram and tagged it #firstkiss...
http://instagram.com/p/mQaP_MyRDz/

...does that mean there were seconds and thirds??

Welcome to the gossip spotlight, Miss Frances Maurer...
https://twitter.com/Envouge59
http://instagram.com/france_a_million

Oooo! Actual gossip haha
Bless, she does seem smitten! She said he was handsome and seem glad to have met him, and the first kiss does imply there was more than one (or she WANTS more than one).
Good for Cory, especially after Kate flirting like crazy with Toby and throwing herself at him the second their relationship ended.

Bucket
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Bucket »

She seems SUPER young in some pictures and older in others. I can't decide how old she is! Does cory just like young, naive girls? And I wonder why she does sign language in her instagram videos.

Return to “KatersOneSeven / DudeLikeHella”