TheAmberFiles
Wallflower
Wallflower
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Fake awkwardness, Fake nerds, and Fake anxiety/depressio

Post by TheAmberFiles »

YTBlastgirl wrote:
TheAmberFiles wrote:I've been diagnosed with A.D.D. since my mid-teen years. It kind of bugs me now to see kids pretend they have ADD just as an excuse to be random and obnoxious ("ooo a shiny object, what was I saying? I like squirrels!"). It's a seriously frustrating mental condition to have, I'll be talking about something and I see something out of the corner of my eye that distracts me and it makes me completely forget what I was talking about and I'll just be sitting there, staring blankly while I try to remember what I was saying.
ADD is a terrible reality of mine. No one quite understands why I pick up on some things and zone out on others. My brain just can't work that way. It's really messed up and not that I get distracted by shiny things but more like if I'm reading I can't hear anything that's going on, or when I'm trying to read all I can do is hear everything that is going on. Depends on where my mind is trying to focus and it gets ridiculous. You must have had it easy in school, I had the principal follow me around asking me if I was doing ok in my classes and checking in with me. That was embarrassing, but it's not something I'd advertise all over YouTube as if it were a cool thing. It's not, it's an actual flaw that hurts you in situations most people don't realize. I always get annoyed when people say they have A.D.D. and do not. Sorry for the rant, just.. that one gets my goat.
I'm the same way with the reading thing. Sometimes I'll be so concentrated on it that I won't hear anything that anyone says to me and other times, I can't concentrate on the words because the TV is going or someone's talking near me, etc. I also have bipolar disorder on-top of my A.D.D. and on rare occasions, if my concentration is broken while I was very interested in what I was reading or doing, I have a large mood swing into a fit of anger. It's scary sometimes.

I'm from a small town so, most of the people that went to my schools all grew up with each other, maybe that's why no one really got bullied.

troncat
Informer
Informer

Post by troncat »

Kleineganz wrote:
toTheBasementPeople wrote:
Kleineganz wrote:I've been a geek for as long as I remember, and I was brutally bullied in school, but I guess I just don't care that much that kids now are turning it into something "cool." I mean, why not? At least if being geeky/nerdy is seen as being cool now, then the real geeks and nerds won't get bulled (as much). I think it's great that there is a wider appreciation for the things I've loved for years, and will ensure the longevity of those things (like Doctor Who, which I hope never goes off the air again like it did in 1989 .. broke my heart that did).

:geek:
Bitch,pluh-lesse :D
They will call you something different that isn't right. ie,ghetto,kill,ratchet etc.
Ok sorry, I'm confused ... ?
I think the point they're trying to make is that there is no more acceptance for people who fall into the geek/nerd category, the terminology has just changed i.e. you'd be called a ratchet mess as opposed to a nerd, because only the terminology of being a nerd has become cool, not nerds themselves. They're being bullied as much as ever.
ImageImage

Ali9799
Informer
Informer

Post by Ali9799 »

The word "nerd" has basically lost all meaning
... Opinions on Damon Fizzy anyone? Please take his feelings into consideration while typing though ...
I agree with most of what you guys are saying. There are people totally faking their nerdiness or awkwardness but I think most ineternety people are that way anyway ... If one spends most of their time online they probably aren't very social people ... It's become a stupid trend because fan girls want to be like their favorite YouTubers. I think it'll die down soon enough though when claiming you are socially awkward/ nerdy is known to be a stupid trend. Especially that it was mentioned in becoming YouTube : why is a nerdfighter.
Here's a llama There's a llama
And another little llama
Fuzzy llama Funny llama
Llama llama duck

trululul
Learner
Learner

Post by trululul »

the thing that annoys me most is people who say they have anxiety, depression, a.d.d, etc, when they don't. I have all 3, and i've had to leave school to become home schooled because of it. People just don't get how hard it is to actually deal with this stuff, and it angers me that they use it as a joke. The other thing that annoys me is fake gamers, or 'gamers' who use their gender to define themself as a gamer, and then expect to be treated with respect. But, to be honest, i think it's mainly girls that do it, because if males see that they're a female, of course they're going to get attention and be showered with compliments. And this is not directed at the person who started this thread, it is directed at the girls on youtube who call themselves gamers, then take pictures kissing their game controllers while wearing layers of makeup. e.g, Progley and TeganJay91. If you want to call yourself a '-insert gender here-Gamer', then that's completely fine as long as you don't expect people to give you special attention. That is the thing that annoys me, that these girls are clearly using the 'i love video games' attitude, to seem more attractive to guys.

troncat
Informer
Informer

Post by troncat »

Ali9799 wrote:There are people totally faking their nerdiness or awkwardness but I think most ineternety people are that way anyway ... If one spends most of their time online they probably aren't very social people ...
In general, yes, people who spend a lot of time online probably do so due to not feeling comfortable with IRL situations. But I disagree with this in relation to YouTube. In my opinion making YouTube videos requires a certain amount of narcissism which is not necessarily a bad thing if it is just a healthy amount of confidence. But narcissism and self diagnosing go hand in hand, so I feel the majority of YouTubers who are "oh em gee sew socially awkward" *cough dan* are just incredibly full of themselves and want to be special and unique snow flakes.
ImageImage

cinderellaa
Debater
Debater

Post by cinderellaa »

I was diagnosed with Bipolar and social anxiety 3 years ago. and i have too noticed it has become a trend. and its now put such a bad name on MH to the point now i feel like i cant be taken seriously in certain matter.
Ive never worked, i pretty much hardly step outside. and i dont speak to my family anymore cause i get bad anxiety around them. they dont see to have those issue, where as someone with SA could relate to me perfectly. they all self diagnose themselves, but truth is it took me years to get properly diagnosed and treated let alone build the courage to even get medicated. i think they use it as an excuse so that people stop telling them to get a job, so then people will be like oh they have this so they cant work etc. / it seems like its just become a popular trend on youtube to make a video on it.

Next the new trend will be all about diabetes or Cancer LOL

FatalFlaw
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by FatalFlaw »

JLovesMac is really milking the anxiety "diagnosis" and I have a difficult time believing it. She may have something going on but I can't help feeling it's for show. Her positive comments and thumbs up have skyrocketed since she has started talking about it.

GamerGirl1990
Informer
Informer

Post by GamerGirl1990 »

It's funny that someone mentioned DFizzy here. If you read through his twitter he's ALWAYS talking about how he's so awkward and SO shy around people. He talks constantly about having really bad anxiety. I met him at VidCon and he's very nice. If he does have serious anxiety, I hope he gets the help he needs. Do any of you guys watch his videos?

thisismyusernamek
Talker
Talker

Post by thisismyusernamek »

trululul wrote:the thing that annoys me most is people who say they have anxiety, depression, a.d.d, etc, when they don't. I have all 3, and i've had to leave school to become home schooled because of it.
The exact same thing happened to me! :l that's weird...

It really annoys me when people say that they are suffering from things like this, though. I had a friend who lied about suffering from an eating disorder for attention and another friend who lied about cutting, depression and social anxiety for attention. so many people i know do this, it's messed up. i see it a lot on tumblr as well and it upsets me because they don't have an idea what it's like, it used to make me feel less alone but it's gets obvious when people are making it up.

With the whole youtubers-being-fake-nerds thing, I think they do it to appeal to their audience. The youtubers I watch aren't really "fake nerds", they've been on youtube for a while and their interests are just considered "nerdy". I'm in a youtube fandom, and most of the people in it, including myself have interests that are considered nerdy. So I think some youtubers pretend to like these things so they can attract the typical youtube audience.

And I do watch damon fizzy, I adore him haha. He dose talk about he's social anxiety a lot but to be honest I believe him, because I can really relate to him when he talks about what it's like.

mydirrtysecret
Learner
Learner

Post by mydirrtysecret »

What's funny is that people think depression looks certain way.. I am 21 years old and have had extreme depression for majority of the time since 8th grade. My family and friends never even thought I was ever depressed. I had to do the fake smile, everything's OK until one day I snapped. I screamed that I have been depressed since 8th and my family and friends were shocked and didn't believe me. They said I was too pretty and kept up my appearance, that I didn't have anything to be depressed about, and that I was too happy. But my parents never really paid attention to me in the first place that's why they never noticed..So basically my depression was a joke.. I understand why people never reveal their mental issues because it is always like mocked. Some of the happiest people are seriously the most depressed..Don't judge or assume.

okaay
Informer
Informer

Post by okaay »

My parents say I need to go to the mental hospital next time I say "I want to die."
What is severe clinical depression then?
I feel like depression is now so played down because everyone apparently has it.
My own parents can't even take me seriously.

mydirrtysecret
Learner
Learner

Post by mydirrtysecret »

okaay:

Yeah everyone has depression at some point in there life or even every year.. I think the difference is when it really affects your life and when your depressed all the time more than anything else! It's like periods of sadness,emptyness, having guilt,irritability, fatigue, feeling worthless..etc..that doesn't seem to go away without any sustained periods of stability.. but again the level is different for everyone. I understand your parent situation too. I'll I can say is maybe try to talk to them about it. Sometimes i think people don't know what to say or how to react. Now a days people(in general) don't care about your problems until it effects them! Everyone is so busy with their own life..It's like they say on tumblr all the time"no one cares until your sick or dead"(I'm just generalizing because not everyone is like this but a good majority is!).

okaay
Informer
Informer

Post by okaay »

mydirrtysecret wrote:okaay:

Yeah everyone has depression at some point in there life or even every year.. I think the difference is when it really affects your life and when your depressed all the time more than anything else! It's like periods of sadness,emptyness, having guilt,irritability, fatigue, feeling worthless..etc..that doesn't seem to go away without any sustained periods of stability.. but again the level is different for everyone. I understand your parent situation too. I'll I can say is maybe try to talk to them about it. Sometimes i think people don't know what to say or how to react. Now a days people(in general) don't care about your problems until it effects them! Everyone is so busy with their own life..It's like they say on tumblr all the time"no one cares until your sick or dead"(I'm just generalizing because not everyone is like this but a good majority is!).

Yeah that makes sense, my dad keeps claiming that he has "depression" aka midlife crisis.
Thanks. I'll do my best

mameha
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by mameha »

So, yeah...youtubers hopping on the anxiety bandwagon:

I thought we were well past the point of using 'gay' as an insult

Not to these two:

[youtube][/youtube]

and she goes by the lovely username 'socialphobiaisgay':

[youtube][/youtube]

Way to go there ladies! Nothing like a hefty dose of intolerance while you're trying to promote your cause. :roll:

tamithomas
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by tamithomas »

Over all, any of these ashhole guru's who try to self diagnose with anxiety and depression make me want to bash my head in. Not just guru's but anyone who self diagnoses and uses it as a way to gain popularity drive me batty. Professionally diagnosed with PTSD, social anxiety disorder and depression I never try to make it something that I see many use as a pity card :x

95% of the youtubers who claim to know what these feel like actually do not know how it feels for time to feel like it stands still literally like as if time dissapeared, not having that feeling like tomorrow doesn't exist, you have lost all interest in doing anything that usually brings you joy. They have never felt like the walls were closing in, peoples voices suddenly seem a lot louder and think they're talking about you and feel like all eyes are on you even though no ones actually looking at you while you start to hyperventilate and crying while all of this is going on making you need to get out of the room asap. Happened right in the middle of when i was out at a movie once, so embarassing and I can't control it. They don't know how it feels to feel scared meeting new people while trying to open up because you're brain freezes due to fear. It happens when it wants to happen.

Bottom line, attention whores..you're the reason the rest of us who actually have these problems deal with being accused that we're just drama queens/ kings that exagerate. It's not a medal to wear to show off, it's a real mental problem we're trying to get help for.

moomin.
Debater
Debater

Post by moomin. »

mameha wrote:So, yeah...youtubers hopping on the anxiety bandwagon:

I thought we were well past the point of using 'gay' as an insult

and she goes by the lovely username 'socialphobiaisgay':

[youtube][/youtube]

Way to go there ladies! Nothing like a hefty dose of intolerance while you're trying to promote your cause. :roll:
From her channel page a failed attempt at justifying her homophobic slur
"Also I have to apologize for the channel name, I dont have anything against gay people AT ALL I actually get pissed off when I hear somone talking shit about anyone who is gay or lesbian.. The word gay is just a completely different meaning for me but I hope you guys understand that I wish I could take it back ."

This reminds me of a Simon Amstell sketch in response to Katie Perry's "Your so gay song"
[youtube][/youtube]

tamithomas
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by tamithomas »

I clicked on the video, and this is what is in the requested side bar:

I'm pretty sure out of all of them, maybe one or two are actual clinical diagnosed anxiety sufferers. I hate that so many of thees videos are popping up especially since self diagnosing is becoming more and more common

PS I know a few are not S.A.D. related I just screen capped the list as a whole.

trululul
Learner
Learner

Post by trululul »

I just hate how all these people who apparently have 'anxiety' (yet can post all these videos on youtube, go out to heaps of places, and take numerous photos of themselves), think it's okay to act like they've suffered. Anxiety isn't feeling a little self conscious when you're having a bad hair day or panicking when your iphone breaks. Hell, i can barely even leave my room and these people are trying to give me advice? And i totally agree that people aren't taking people who actually HAVE these disorders seriously anymore because of the attention-seekers. My mum calls me a lazy bi**h because apparently i don't go outside enough, and the rest of my family said to me that depression doesn't exist and i'm just making it up for attention and all i need to do is stop being sad. I've also had my parents say i'm lazy because i've had to become homeschooled because of my social anxiety, and tell me that i'm just 'making it up'. All thanks to these fakers who don't actually suffer from these disorders who are making people think 'hey, that doesn't seem so bad, people must be lying when they say they can't go to school or go outside because it's so bad'

herpderpin
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by herpderpin »

I think Charlie McDonnell and meekakitty are particularly bad for this

ikeepitrealok
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by ikeepitrealok »

I love how xxxalliecosmeticsxxx claims to have social anxiety yet she is extrememly popular in school, extremely out spoken, always going out with people & always bragging about how rich she is and she loves her life. and then says her anxiety was about her apperiance..

Return to “General and Miscellaneous”