Site Admin

Costuber/Costuming Community - Part 2

Post by ADMIN »

fillyjonkwhobelieved
Learner
Learner

Re: Costuber/Costuming Community - Part 2

Post by fillyjonkwhobelieved »

I was reading back through the thread, and I must say, I really like Cat's Costumery. I find the discussion of her course (she's doing the MA in Textile History at Glasgow School of Art - possibly the same course Abby did back in the day) and her studies really interesting. I don't think she's trying to be BB - she kind of looks like her, and has some aesthetic elements in common, but she's not really doing the nineteenth century cosplay as hard as BB is.

She did jump on the Bridgerton bandwagon, but I kind of had the impression that all of those Bridgerton videos were sponsored - so maybe it was the sponsor who pushed it? It's very much the kind of thing a sponsor would do, and I can't blame a student for doing things for money.

herewego2
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by herewego2 »

fillyjonkwhobelieved wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:43 am
I was reading back through the thread, and I must say, I really like Cat's Costumery. I find the discussion of her course (she's doing the MA in Textile History at Glasgow School of Art - possibly the same course Abby did back in the day) and her studies really interesting. I don't think she's trying to be BB - she kind of looks like her, and has some aesthetic elements in common, but she's not really doing the nineteenth century cosplay as hard as BB is.

She did jump on the Bridgerton bandwagon, but I kind of had the impression that all of those Bridgerton videos were sponsored - so maybe it was the sponsor who pushed it? It's very much the kind of thing a sponsor would do, and I can't blame a student for doing things for money.
Oh yeah, I really like her! She definitely has that "another time" aesthetic, but here's feels more earthy. Like you'd expect her to have a lot of old books and plants. She's like a mix of BB and Rachel when it comes to aesthetic.

I thought they had to say when a video was sponsored? I think it's more likely they all just hopped on a trend. I think people saw "Regency with weird materials!" And half of them said "Ew, no, not accurate" and half went "I want to make one!"

erina_f_
Lurker
Lurker

Post by erina_f_ »

Holy shit have you seen DSA Threads’s latest post?
“vaguebooking is a trauma response”
Okay then.

herewego2
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by herewego2 »

erina_f_ wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:52 am
Okay then.
Ever get the feeling you're being watched? 🤣 though really, it's not a surprise given the new "That's not what happened" accounts after the first Secret Santa account. Social Justice Costube is definitely watching us.

PlainSalted
Talker
Talker

Post by PlainSalted »

erina_f_ wrote:
Okay then.
(Full disclosure: I'm officially diagnosed with autism.)

This behaviour is icky to me and some of the stuff she says is kind of offensive. I should probably cool down a bit before commenting but this type of stuff really hits close to home and gets me pretty emotional. (Haha look at me, now I'm using an appeal to emotion as an excuse for potential bad behaviour too! :rofl: )

First off, I'm hesitant to say this because sometimes autistic behaviour does need explaining because it is often misunderstood, but it really kinda looks like she's pulling the autism card for minority immunity points here to parry criticism from NTs and to be able to find a group to blame for something. She's also doing the thing where she's using autism to inexplicitly frame herself as somehow morally superior when it comes to political issues, something that's happening a lot in certain corners of the autism community and is strongly disliked in others. The whole 'You're going to see what you did' thing makes

Her first slide is partially true, but I hate how it frames us as helpless beings who can't function in the NT world. We do need to learn to adapt and we do need to learn these skills, many of us go to therapy for that and succeed. Is it harder for some than for others? Yes! Are there things that will always be massive obstacles in our lives? Yes! Would life be easier if the rest of the world was more adapted to us? Of. Fucking. Course. But this 'Woe is me, I'm just a poor little helpless autistic and look what you NTs are doing to me!!!' kind of content really doesn't help the cause of gaining acceptance because it frames us as helpless and it really gets under my skin.

Her whole monologue about being expected to respond like a NT and saying how 'You're going to see what you did' is, again, somewhat valid but framed in the most arrogant fucking way and seemingly used as a way to deflect criticism from certain behaviours and to frame herself as somehow morally superior because of her autism. Without reference to the current situation, it's totally possible for autistic people to be completely unreasonable and make a big stink rather than 'showing people what they did', just saying.

Get outta here with that 'vaguebooking is a trauma response'. There's enough bullshit psychology going around, state your sources or stop it already.

It isn't a specifically allistic thing to focus more on how others make you uncomfortable. Put your autism card back in the deck, now is not the time.
I like big bustles and I cannot lie

hysterically_adq
Informer
Informer

Post by hysterically_adq »

herewego2 wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:34 am
erina_f_ wrote:
Okay then.
Ever get the feeling you're being watched? 🤣 though really, it's not a surprise given the new "That's not what happened" accounts after the first Secret Santa account. Social Justice Costube is definitely watching us.
How about we stop feeding her? She isn’t really relevant outside of stirring shit. 🙄

Justagoat
Informer
Informer

Post by Justagoat »

herewego2 wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:34 am
erina_f_ wrote:
Okay then.
Bingo! 🤣

Justagoat
Informer
Informer

Post by Justagoat »

PlainSalted wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:32 am
erina_f_ wrote:
Okay then.

This behaviour is icky to me and some of the stuff she says is kind of offensive. I should probably cool down a bit before commenting but this type of stuff really hits close to home and gets me pretty emotional. (Haha look at me, now I'm using an appeal to emotion as an excuse for potential bad behaviour too! :rofl: )

First off, I'm hesitant to say this because sometimes autistic behaviour does need explaining because it is often misunderstood, but it really kinda looks like she's pulling the autism card for minority immunity points here to parry criticism from NTs and to be able to find a group to blame for something. She's also doing the thing where she's using autism to inexplicitly frame herself as somehow morally superior when it comes to political issues, something that's happening a lot in certain corners of the autism community and is strongly disliked in others. The whole 'You're going to see what you did' thing makes

Her first slide is partially true, but I hate how it frames us as helpless beings who can't function in the NT world. We do need to learn to adapt and we do need to learn these skills, many of us go to therapy for that and succeed. Is it harder for some than for others? Yes! Are there things that will always be massive obstacles in our lives? Yes! Would life be easier if the rest of the world was more adapted to us? Of. Fucking. Course. But this 'Woe is me, I'm just a poor little helpless autistic and look what you NTs are doing to me!!!' kind of content really doesn't help the cause of gaining acceptance because it frames us as helpless and it really gets under my skin.

Her whole monologue about being expected to respond like a NT and saying how 'You're going to see what you did' is, again, somewhat valid but framed in the most arrogant fucking way and seemingly used as a way to deflect criticism from certain behaviours and to frame herself as somehow morally superior because of her autism. Without reference to the current situation, it's totally possible for autistic people to be completely unreasonable and make a big stink rather than 'showing people what they did', just saying.

Get outta here with that 'vaguebooking is a trauma response'. There's enough bullshit psychology going around, state your sources or stop it already.

It isn't a specifically allistic thing to focus more on how others make you uncomfortable. Put your autism card back in the deck, now is not the time.
Thank you. You’ve articulated why that bothered me far better than I could. I’ve had a lot of fucking therapy and have never heard this “vaguebooking is a trauma response” bullcrap before.

PlainSalted
Talker
Talker

Post by PlainSalted »

Justagoat wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:31 am
PlainSalted wrote:

Thank you. You’ve articulated why that bothered me far better than I could. I’ve had a lot of fucking therapy and have never heard this “vaguebooking is a trauma response” bullcrap before.
Right!? Still even if it was a trauma response, it wouldn't be up to her to tell people that. There are so many 'psychology influencers' out there, according to whom XYZ is a trauma response and even when it is true, they do such a terrible job at framing it for the general public to consume that they're essentially still spreading misinformation.

SnarkySnax
Informer
Informer

Post by SnarkySnax »

PlainSalted wrote:
Justagoat wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:31 am
Right!? Still even if it was a trauma response, it wouldn't be up to her to tell people that. There are so many 'psychology influencers' out there, according to whom XYZ is a trauma response and even when it is true, they do such a terrible job at framing it for the general public to consume that they're essentially still spreading misinformation.
I wonder if those of us on the spectrum have an easier time seeing thorough the layer of “trauma made me this way and it’s your fault” crap than the normies. Because I read through her stories and it didn’t align with any of the things I’ve learned in my many years of professional treatment for my spectrum disorder.

Accountability is a thing too in the ND community. NDs may have more difficulty controlling our reactions, especially if processing disorders are involved, but we still have to take responsibility for our own actions and any aftermath.

Also naming names could backfire massively. It could be perceived as toxic behavior by the community at large. It could end up with people avoiding her even more. So vagueposting is a convenient work around. It sets her up as the victim but doesn’t require her to specify how she was hurt or who hurt her. It keeps the pot stirred and people interested in her. Attention = validation = vindication.

We will never get a list of names out of her about who hurt her in the costuber community. If she produced a list it would boil down to “so and so didn’t take my side so now I hate them” which is school yard politics at its finest.

Lurk Err
Debater
Debater

Post by Lurk Err »

Justagoat wrote:
PlainSalted wrote:

20 years of therapy here and I have diagnosed PTSD from separate events. I’ve never heard that. Maybe because my response is to be aggressive and tell people bout themselves and not vaguebook. If I’m gonna say something it’s with my whole ass chest. Which gets me into trouble sometimes.

In another subject what is this CoSy who started this what happened to CoCoVid. Does it have to do with the unpopular kids that went nuts in the dis cord server and ran off the “popular” kids cuz if it is I don’t want to support a bunch of grown ass adult acting like little kids and I’ll unsubscribe from the few that have talked about it.

I’m also seeing a lot of lip service about supporting underrepresented people and as one of those people in a few ways it feels icky. Like you can’t just say that and not give a few examples of how to support and it feels like a script has been given b/c it doesn’t feel from the heart and I cringe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PlainSalted
Talker
Talker

Post by PlainSalted »

SnarkySnax wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:44 am
PlainSalted wrote:
I wonder if those of us on the spectrum have an easier time seeing thorough the layer of “trauma made me this way and it’s your fault” crap than the normies. Because I read through her stories and it didn’t align with any of the things I’ve learned in my many years of professional treatment for my spectrum disorder.

Accountability is a thing too in the ND community. NDs may have more difficulty controlling our reactions, especially if processing disorders are involved, but we still have to take responsibility for our own actions and any aftermath.

Also naming names could backfire massively. It could be perceived as toxic behavior by the community at large. It could end up with people avoiding her even more. So vagueposting is a convenient work around. It sets her up as the victim but doesn’t require her to specify how she was hurt or who hurt her. It keeps the pot stirred and people interested in her. Attention = validation = vindication.

We will never get a list of names out of her about who hurt her in the costuber community. If she produced a list it would boil down to “so and so didn’t take my side so now I hate them” which is school yard politics at its finest.
Possibly, I think those of us who have been in therapy have learned to identify certain behaviours in ourselves and are able to recognise them in others. I know for sure that we're good at spotting disorders being weaponised and the community isn't afraid of calling that out when it happens. I think accountability is an important thing to the ND community because being able to take accountability is part of demonstrating that we're full human beings who have agency of our own.

Naming names would most likely backfire somehow and vagueposting is a convenient work around, but I wonder how she hopes to resolve anything with it. Hurr durr, 'the ability to work things out by simply talking to people is an allistic privilege', but then how is she going to approach the problem and work towards a resolution of sorts? It's making her alleged motifs look rather weak.

NearlyThere
Lurker
Lurker

Post by NearlyThere »

Lurk Err wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:05 am
Justagoat wrote:
20 years of therapy here and I have diagnosed PTSD from separate events. I’ve never heard that. Maybe because my response is to be aggressive and tell people bout themselves and not vaguebook. If I’m gonna say something it’s with my whole ass chest. Which gets me into trouble sometimes.

In another subject what is this CoSy who started this what happened to CoCoVid. Does it have to do with the unpopular kids that went nuts in the dis cord server and ran off the “popular” kids cuz if it is I don’t want to support a bunch of grown ass adult acting like little kids and I’ll unsubscribe from the few that have talked about it.

I’m also seeing a lot of lip service about supporting underrepresented people and as one of those people in a few ways it feels icky. Like you can’t just say that and not give a few examples of how to support and it feels like a script has been given b/c it doesn’t feel from the heart and I cringe.

I think Lizcapism did an Instagram story about it. CoSy is CoCovid with a different name because CoCo did their event online this year.

hysterically_adq
Informer
Informer

Post by hysterically_adq »

I’m always blown away when Rachel sits down with her phone and just sketches something out. I’m so impressed how she just goes for it. I would have been terrified to be so far into that purse project to just sketch out that fox. Of course she has much better drawing skills than myself. 😂

Lurk Err
Debater
Debater

Post by Lurk Err »

Flansy wrote:I’m always blown away when Rachel sits down with her phone and just sketches something out. I’m so impressed how she just goes for it. I would have been terrified to be so far into that purse project to just sketch out that fox. Of course she has much better drawing skills than myself. Image
She gives me honey badger energy sometimes and I live for it b/c I can give too many fucks a lot

Lurk Err
Debater
Debater

Post by Lurk Err »

NearlyThere wrote:
Lurk Err wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:05 am

I think Lizcapism did an Instagram story about it. CoSy is CoCovid with a different name because CoCo did their event online this year.
Where was coco this year? I saw it last year. I’m just so confused. Lol

NearlyThere
Lurker
Lurker

Post by NearlyThere »

Lurk Err wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:48 am
NearlyThere wrote:
Where was coco this year? I saw it last year. I’m just so confused. Lol

It was Coco was cancelled last year and it was online this year. Coco and CoCovid are not the same thing. CoCovid is the same as CoSy but they changed the name.

Justagoat
Informer
Informer

Post by Justagoat »

What does Sy stand for in CoSy? I always though the name CoCovid was clever and tactless at the same time.

Sweetsweettea
Learner
Learner

Post by Sweetsweettea »

CoSy is shorthand for Costube Symposium. The name was changed from CoCoVid as Cocovid was a pun on CoCo at first as they themselves did not organize an (online) event last year. But this year CoCo is putting out an event themselves so the name was changed from CoCoVid to CoSy as to make clear it wasn't affiliated with CoCo. Aside from that people wanted to get rid of the covid association because this event might be organized for quite a few more years. No drama involved there, this was the idea since the people started organizing this year.

Return to “Costubers”