Alka
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Guest Artists.

Post by Alka »

beautysuperwoman wrote:
I pride myself on listening to what people really want, and executing that for them. But there's an infinite amount of snarky bitches that are:
-autumn/winter/spring/summer coloring and they can't use a certain colors (bitch, a neutral is a neutral for a reason)
-are afraid of lipstick washing them out so they wear fuschia...yeah that's doing you a lot of favours
-powder makes them look dry and cakey, every foundation on the planet settles into their lines...listen, I have used the specific formulas I use on dozens of people who have fine lines or dry skin, and it looked fantastic, let's put it on and see if I'm right or you're right
-allergic to non-natural products...ahhahahahah if only you knew how extremely unnatural your supposedly natural skin care is
-can't wear black mascara
-nothing can cover their dark circles (wanna bet?)
-overpluck their eyebrows but don't want me to make them look "fake"

and my personal favorite, foundation color delusion. If you want to be lighter or darker, be honest with yourself that you are crazy and unaccepting of your own skintone. But don't try to tell me you're an NC20 when you're clearly and NC40, or the reverse. kk?

i could go on.....
haha, the black mascara is the biggest wtf? is it because they're too fair to pull it off?

artlovemoney
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by artlovemoney »

Alka wrote:in all fairness when I worked in the events industry they had to have 20-30 girls done in 2 hours (3 artists), and those 'makeup artists' would use the same mascara (without the disposable spoolies), makeup brushes, same lipstick that wasn't disinfected straight from the bullet, and the hair was done with the same brush on all the girls. those were professionals too. don't even get me started on the quality of the makeup application. there's still a lot of shitty 'artists' out there

*gag*

I've been there. Once i was modeling, getting my makeup done with another model, the artist was doing me, her assistant was doing the other person. The assistant aked the artist what type of brush did she use for my eyes, she showed her, put it down. The assistant then proceed to pick up the brush, uncleaned, to use it on the other model.

I was horrified to the point that my eyes were transfixed on what happened that the artist noticed......

Long story short, it wasn't pretty.

So yes, i agree with you on "artists"
the thing is, with events of that magnitude, there are 3 or 4 stock looks, cuts time down drastically. I understand being in a rush, because who runs on time for a wedding these days? However, there is NO excuse for being dirty.

beautysuperwoman
Informer
Informer

Post by beautysuperwoman »

Alka wrote:
beautysuperwoman wrote:
I pride myself on listening to what people really want, and executing that for them. But there's an infinite amount of snarky bitches that are:
-autumn/winter/spring/summer coloring and they can't use a certain colors (bitch, a neutral is a neutral for a reason)
-are afraid of lipstick washing them out so they wear fuschia...yeah that's doing you a lot of favours
-powder makes them look dry and cakey, every foundation on the planet settles into their lines...listen, I have used the specific formulas I use on dozens of people who have fine lines or dry skin, and it looked fantastic, let's put it on and see if I'm right or you're right
-allergic to non-natural products...ahhahahahah if only you knew how extremely unnatural your supposedly natural skin care is
-can't wear black mascara
-nothing can cover their dark circles (wanna bet?)
-overpluck their eyebrows but don't want me to make them look "fake"

and my personal favorite, foundation color delusion. If you want to be lighter or darker, be honest with yourself that you are crazy and unaccepting of your own skintone. But don't try to tell me you're an NC20 when you're clearly and NC40, or the reverse. kk?

i could go on.....
haha, the black mascara is the biggest wtf? is it because they're too fair to pull it off?
they feel like they are I think, which is fine. On someone very fair light eyed and light haired, brown mascara looks more natural for daytime every day wear. But it's not like they CANT wear black, it's not off limits it just looks more obvious and makeup like.

However, wearing brown mascara with a smokey eye or a dramatic black cat eye, just looks strange. Same thing as doing all that black near the lashline and neglecting to apply some into the top waterline and to the ridges on the outer corner of the eye. It just looks unfinished.
I just really love candles, and Nars Orgasm blush, and all things MAC, and Bath and Body Works Sales, and Michael Kors, and my boyfriendandmypuppy!!!!

really.

beautysuperwoman
Informer
Informer

artlovemoney wrote:
Alka wrote: *gag*

I've been there. Once i was modeling, getting my makeup done with another model, the artist was doing me, her assistant was doing the other person. The assistant aked the artist what type of brush did she use for my eyes, she showed her, put it down. The assistant then proceed to pick up the brush, uncleaned, to use it on the other model.

I was horrified to the point that my eyes were transfixed on what happened that the artist noticed......

Long story short, it wasn't pretty.

So yes, i agree with you on "artists"
the thing is, with events of that magnitude, there are 3 or 4 stock looks, cuts time down drastically. I understand being in a rush, because who runs on time for a wedding these days? However, there is NO excuse for being dirty.
I agree that stock looks make everything easier, but we still have to customize it to each individuals face, which takes a bit of extra planning and thought.

Fully agreed, I think any bride would rather look amazing than be on time.
I just really love candles, and Nars Orgasm blush, and all things MAC, and Bath and Body Works Sales, and Michael Kors, and my boyfriendandmypuppy!!!!

really.

WheresMyGun
Learner
Learner

Post by WheresMyGun »

I love the new look Mary did. I want her to do makeup on meee!!

2012myusername

Post by 2012myusername »

the way she was telling the model to keep moving her lips was so funny, the way she applies makeup and her personality match so damn well.

choochy
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by choochy »

bahbaah, i was totally entralled with the random-ness, the artisty, it was amazing to watch everything evolve on the model's face. i was so so so so very inspired.
:love2: :love2:

EstherIngram
Informer
Informer

Post by EstherIngram »

Lisa's makeup videos put a smile on my face, because she's got the skill, she's got class and a certain pleasant presence.
Mary's makeup application was absolutely mind-blowing. She was so comfortable, so free with it. You can tell she's got experience up the wazoo. Absolute ecstasy watching an artist create.

pandaaa
Informer
Informer

Post by pandaaa »

I fell in looove with Mary's first look. The girl looked like she just popped out from a fairytale or something!
And Lisa was right. Mary's application technique looks so easy and a bit messy but boy does she make it work. If I tried that, I would look like a complete fool cuz I don't have the skill that she has. Such a genius!!! Gosh. I can't thank Lisa enough for bringing her videos to her channel!!!

And I loved the way Mary says color. CAHLAHHH. hahaha

fabulous
Debater
Debater

Post by fabulous »

What is your opinion on applying lipstick straight from the bullet? I am perfectly okay with the foundation slapping, but can you properly sanitize a lipstick bullet?
http://www.gurugossiper.com/viewtopic.php?f=117&t=356
http://www.gurugossiper.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=226

WheresMyGun
Learner
Learner

Post by WheresMyGun »

fabulous wrote:What is your opinion on applying lipstick straight from the bullet? I am perfectly okay with the foundation slapping, but can you properly sanitize a lipstick bullet?
Its possible that lipstick was new and they gave it to her after. I have no idea, they are best in the industry so I guess they know what they re doing, I can just speculate :D

beautysuperwoman
Informer
Informer

Lipstick can be sanitized if it's in bullet form. Swipe the surface with alcohol and cut half an inch off the top with a sanitized blade. That layer of uncertainty is gone.

really.

HattieChaos
Naughty
Naughty

Post by HattieChaos »

Someone had mentioned this in the comments, and Lisa replied saying that it's a new one she gave to Claudia after. :)

FFL
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by FFL »

HattieChaos wrote:Someone had mentioned this in the comments, and Lisa replied saying that it's a new one she gave to Claudia after. :)
I believe that she has said before that she gives the models the mascara she uses on them as well. :)

I love Lisa Eldridge. She's a true MUA and actually knows what she's talking about. She doesn't do a "Scarlett Johansson inspired" look (or what have you), she does THE look because she actually DID it on Scarlett!

Mary was absolutely wonderful. She did surprise me with her technique, but she was so encouraging ("You CAN do this, be confident!") and incredibly informative. Just brilliant!

I really appreciate that Lisa is doing videos herself and also bringing in other real MUAs. :)

beautysuperwoman
Informer
Informer

FFL wrote:
HattieChaos wrote:Someone had mentioned this in the comments, and Lisa replied saying that it's a new one she gave to Claudia after. :)
I believe that she has said before that she gives the models the mascara she uses on them as well. :)

I love Lisa Eldridge. She's a true MUA and actually knows what she's talking about. She doesn't do a "Scarlett Johansson inspired" look (or what have you), she does THE look because she actually DID it on Scarlett!

Mary was absolutely wonderful. She did surprise me with her technique, but she was so encouraging ("You CAN do this, be confident!") and incredibly informative. Just brilliant!

I really appreciate that Lisa is doing videos herself and also bringing in other real MUAs. :)
That's nice, I'm glad to hear that she's so generous with someone who models for her.
Mary, yes. There are no words, she really typifies the best qualities that an artist can have, you can just tell she's a good person.

really.

Uhlizubeth
Informer
Informer

Post by Uhlizubeth »

I love Mary so much! Words can't describe how grateful I feel about finally knowing how to approach my n5-10 complexion. I also LOVE how Mary put all of these "gurus" like Kandee Johnson and Michelle Phan who claim to be "celebrity makeup artist" to shame by giving out genuine advice that doesn't just earn her money.
For example, "gurus" on youtube want us to go by trends rather than what suits us best, they want us to use a million brushes from sigma/mac or a $20 beauty blender sponge, they tell us that we HAVE to smile/ use the fish face when we apply blush or to ALWAYS curl our eyelashes, they always state that we MUST use primer for foundation AND eyeshadow. I'm so glad to get advice from someone who knows what shes talking about.

Alka
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Alka »

yeah, agree. they always say to curl eyelashes don't they? they just assume everyone has straight lashes and need curling. mine are so curled they curl twice, they don't need any more curling, they'd reach my brows! I did fall for those shu uemura eye lash curlers everyone raved about 3 years ago... never use them.

Uhlizubeth
Informer
Informer

Post by Uhlizubeth »

Alka wrote:yeah, agree. they always say to curl eyelashes don't they? they just assume everyone has straight lashes and need curling. mine are so curled they curl twice, they don't need any more curling, they'd reach my brows! I did fall for those shu uemura eye lash curlers everyone raved about 3 years ago... never use them.
Yup! I don't understand why they think that all looks should have curly eyelashes. If I want a bedroom eye look I wouldn't curl my eyelashes since they lift the eyes and ruin the droopiness

beautysuperwoman
Informer
Informer

oh my God, I can't fathom not curling my lashes....
I guess that depends on the person.

as for primer, face primer isn't as necessary as eyeshadow primer. except with cream to powder shadows, those pretty much are primer.

ahhaha, I really do appreciate Mary though, she has a very minimalist approach, which is so nice.

really.

WheresMyGun
Learner
Learner

Post by WheresMyGun »

beautysuperwoman wrote:oh my God, I can't fathom not curling my lashes....
I guess that depends on the person.

as for primer, face primer isn't as necessary as eyeshadow primer. except with cream to powder shadows, those pretty much are primer.

ahhaha, I really do appreciate Mary though, she has a very minimalist approach, which is so nice.
Well nothing really is necessary then I guess. I dont use eyeshadow primer and after 8 hours I still have everything in place and under my eyebrows dry patches- LOL.

Return to “Lisa Eldridge”