Anna Akana

Forum rules
Please keep in mind - No Homophobic or Racist Posts!
PHAIL
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Anna Akana

Post by PHAIL »

[youtube][/youtube]

As a huge fan of Natalie Tran (communitychannel) I'm pretty offended at how this girl is BLATANTLY ripping off her comedy. Not just with making clones of herself to interact with, but right down to her "nerdiness", "social anxiety", and "insecurity". All in quotes because I don't believe for a second any of it is real. She's also not nearly as funny as Natalie is naturally, and seems to try to make up for it with an overuse of foul language that many people do when they don't actually have comedic chops.

It seems Anna is trying to captilize on Nat's style while the latter is on a long, unannounced hiatus. I just found out she's Ray William Johnson's girlfriend which explains why she's so big all of a sudden as well as her lack of originality because let's be honest, just look at his own channel.

DramaIs4Idiots

Re: Anna Akana

Post by DramaIs4Idiots »

People have been doing the "clone" routine for decades. Would it be fair to say that "Nat" is ripping off of Eddie Murphy's comedy, because he played 7 characters in The Nutty Professor before her videos came out? No, it wouldn't. The clone routine is actually its own comedic style that a lot of talented artists use. That would be like saying that nobody but Jeff Dunham should use puppets in a standup routine just because JD's a master at it.

DramaIs4Idiots

Post by DramaIs4Idiots »

Furthermore, if you watch her vlogs she films when it's just her and Ray hanging out having fun, she's actually very outgoing and bubbly. The awkwardness and insecurities in her videos are representations of feelings we all get now and then. How can you judge whether or not she's truly insecure about something? You can't.

photocrazy0510
Learner
Learner

Post by photocrazy0510 »

I was gonna say i dont mind her. I think shes pretty cool.. Of course im not familiar with Natalie Tran so i am not one to judge.. but I dig her videos.. I watch the runaway planet vlogs for her and the kitties LOL ray not so much LOL

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

Personally I really like her and both her vlogs, and the Runaway Planet vlogs. However RWJ was the first YouTuber/vlogger I really started to watch regularly and because of him I discovered Meekakitty, ALL CAPS, and the entire L.A. vlogger crowd, which ultimately inspired me to vlog.

So you could say I'm on YouTube all because of RWJ. :D

PyroMakeup
Informer
Informer

Post by PyroMakeup »

I like her I think she's really funny, and despite her videos only being 1-3 mins long, I think she captures a lot of humor through them. I look forward to her videos! :)

blondeinawig
Lurker
Lurker

Post by blondeinawig »

I've actually liked her a lot for a long time, and have been waiting for there to be a thread about her. While I don't feel as though she's as funny as Nat, I do think that the fact that she actually uploads regularly makes up for it. I suppose their comedic styles could be compared, but in reality, if you compare them, then you'd have to compare almost every other youtuber out there nowadays. Danisnotonfire also uses clones, but that doesn't mean that he's copying Nat. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that they're both asian, but idk. I like her regardless, far more than her boyfriend, RWJ.

PHAIL
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by PHAIL »

@KikiC423 LOL as I said it's not just the 'clone' routine, it's the entire package. I'm sorry but I don't believe for a second there is just a huge coincidence here and there's another semi-hot Asian girl who decided to make sketch videos in which she clones herself and talks about how insecure and awkward and nerdy she is. You said it yourself, she's very outgoing and bubbly outside of these videos which just further indicates she's modeled her 'personality' in these sketch videos after Natalie. Can I prove that she's insecure about something? Hell no. Can I speculate about it? Hell yes. That's what this entire site is about. Sorry for ruffling your feathers, but there is no denying her video style is a carbon copy of communitychannel. It's pretty easy to do considering Nat never makes videos anymore and there's a huge chance a lot of people haven't seen them, which would make it easy for her to get away with it. Add in her fake nerdy/awkward/insecure personality so people who actually are like that can relate to her, insert a shot of her on the bed in every thumbnail and her 'love' of Batman for the guys and you've got yourself a goldmine right there.

DramaIs4Idiots

Post by DramaIs4Idiots »

The only one "ruffled" here seems to be you. You are, after all, the one who started this thread. I've really tried to see your point, but your argument makes no sense. Just because she's Asian, you feel that she can't be a comedian because there's already an Asian sketch comedian on YouTube? That would be like saying that SNL shouldn't include anymore black people in their sketches because they already have one employed. There's just nothing to your argument.
And the whole point of a sketch is to ACT. She's ACTING nerdy and silly because that's who her CHARACTER is. I'm beginning to think you're either unfamiliar with the way acting works, or you're just grasping at straws. As I said, I'm not a big fan of either of them. You seem to be a pretty major Nat fan, which is fine, but at least have an argument substantial enough to present to a neutral party without them blowing it all to crap.

Faye
Learner
Learner

Post by Faye »

To be honest, my first thought was 'OMG DATB*TCH HOWDARESHE COPY NAT!' but she only has the same editing style. I am sure she got some ideas from nat, but honestly, it's pretty impossible to be completely original with your video's and editing style. Now I feel that this girl is just on youtube for fame, and that's fine, if she has people that like her, fine too. She's not ripping off nat, and even if she was. She not even nearly as funny.

GamerGirl1990
Informer
Informer

Post by GamerGirl1990 »

I wouldn't necessarily say she's copying Nat specifically. More just copying what pretty much every Youtuber does now. It's annoying because now it seems like every youtuber and wannabe famous youtuber is doing the exact same routine. Ever seen Emma Blackery? She does the exact same thing. Youtube used to be more about originality but now it's just about copying whoever is popular so you can get popular too. So yeah, she does use the same style as Nat but then again, so do soooo many other people.

Nana
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Nana »

I used to dislike her because it was like she was taking everthing that has had success in YT comedy videos and was using it without really bringing anything new. It was like she was trying to became YT famous without any effort of her own. But now I'm kind of liking her and I don't really know why xDD

leilocked
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by leilocked »

I discovered her through RWJ because they were in a relationship. When I found out she had her own YouTube channel, I immediately assumed that she was only getting followers because she's RWJ's girlfriend... But I started watching her videos and found out she was way funnier than RWJ could ever be, who only relies on viral videos that are funny alone, and overused and dick jokes and race stereotypes.

She's also a pretty good rapper. Her song 'Against the Darkness' about her 13 year old sister committing suicide, and her brother having found her hanging in the closet made me cry.

On behalf on the 'communitychannel' copycat topic, I disagree. I'm subscribed to both. Their styles aren't anything new, they've been used a number of times before. If Anna weren't Asian, would you still assume her of copying?

Nat is more of a natural when it comes to jokes, Anna is more of a natural when it comes to acting. Nat uses more self deprecating jokes and yo mama jokes, Anna uses the prop guns and her cats. Nat usually has relatable and 'story of the day' video topics, while Anna has personal stories/advice and 'moral of the day' video topics. They're equally witty in their own way.

tacobeard
Informer
Informer

Post by tacobeard »

why would anyone date RWJ? isn't he a complete douche? I have seen a few of Anna's videos and she is alright...but I just don't understand her taste in men.

leilocked
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by leilocked »

I have seen RWJ's vlogs, and he seems like a pretty cool guy. He is more intelligent than people make him out to be. He doesn't come out as douchey at all, although in his main channel he does, but that's kind of his character there. Appearance wise, he's not much, but he's not hideous.
To each his own, I guess. :)

tacobeard
Informer
Informer

Post by tacobeard »

leilocked wrote:I have seen RWJ's vlogs, and he seems like a pretty cool guy. He is more intelligent than people make him out to be. He doesn't come out as douchey at all, although in his main channel he does, but that's kind of his character there. Appearance wise, he's not much, but he's not hideous.
To each his own, I guess. :)
I don't know, when he was living in NYC and doing his daily vlogs then he seemed cool at first...but then he seemed like such a dick to meekakitty (I don't know if they were dating but I am assuming they were). He just reminded me of my first boyfriend, who was also a huge douche.

MarlboroPrincess
Informer
Informer

Post by MarlboroPrincess »

I actually don't mind her at all. Really when it comes to YT, NO ONE is original, so that argument is null and void. I am waiting for her to start getting more popular and then start acting completely different.
Gobble Gobble Gobble

livechiclove
Informer
Informer

Post by livechiclove »

I have nothing against her
but I dont like her
I cant get myself to watch her so i dont..
Its annoying that ray puts her in every video
Ian + Mickey

guestt
Informer
Informer

Post by guestt »

lmao i actually thought she seems to be a copy of natalie tran too. I think it's because there really aren't that many female youtubers around so when the editing style is very close, it really shows. She's like the hybrid of communitychannel and the old Happyslip.

Got a shock when i found out she's RWJ's gf.

kabukixo
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by kabukixo »

I really like her videos, but she comes off as quite confident and full of herself - yet she says she's so "awkward and nerdy"? I mean I know it's different if you're making a video vs. in real life but... she seems REALLY confident.

Return to “A-M”