Anna Akana

Forum rules
Please keep in mind - No Homophobic or Racist Posts!
SugarproofVeeegan
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anna Akana

Post by SugarproofVeeegan »

the fuck with her latest video. "A boy made fun of me so I altered my appearance to appease him." that isnt making the trolls work for you. It's the exact opposite. Is this real life? I legit think I might be dreaming right now, that was such a weird, nonsensical video.

Post by Guest »

SugarproofVeeegan wrote:the fuck with her latest video. "A boy made fun of me so I altered my appearance to appease him." that isnt making the trolls work for you. It's the exact opposite. Is this real life? I legit think I might be dreaming right now, that was such a weird, nonsensical video.
Agreed. Sometimes I feel like her "advice" videos are so weird and misguided. But if that's how she wants to live her life then oh well.

Girltyler
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Girltyler »

Youtubers are the epitome of taking candy from a baby. They have no talent but know these kids will by anything from them. Even a damn circle printed on a $2 shirt

Oubliette
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Oubliette »

SugarproofVeeegan wrote:the fuck with her latest video. "A boy made fun of me so I altered my appearance to appease him." that isnt making the trolls work for you. It's the exact opposite. Is this real life? I legit think I might be dreaming right now, that was such a weird, nonsensical video.
Yeah I was like... WTF? What kind of advice is that??? She's doing the complete opposite. I'm glad I unsubscribed and I have adblock. This kind of "advice" is dangerous and harmful. Just because she goes to therapy doesn't mean she knows how to handle stuff. She's become so vapid and superficial, it's really sad. I guess it's true what they say about being careful who you hang out with because if you have poor judgment then you might end up adopting some bad habits from shitty people. :?

tps
Learner
Learner

Post by tps »

Agreed with above. She's starting to become so vapid and dumb. Her video with Kalel made me lose a lot of respect for her. The way she responded to it on snapchat and tumblr was so annoying. Calling everyone a misogynist and or insecure for thinking that video was nuts was pathetic. She should talk about her obvious codependency issues with her therapist...

Post by Guest »

[video][/video]

I thought the video was funny but the sponsorship...

Taxes? Does she know who her audience is?

ilikepie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by ilikepie »

Anyone else think she is crazy? She seems normal on the outside, but from what I've gathered (especially from her podcast: http://mentalpod.com/Anna-Akana-podcast) she isn't...I can't trust a single she says because it could be lies just to get views and also, i get the impression she is suck up..and she gives terrible terrible advice...

Lydia Deetz
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Lydia Deetz »

I have tried to like her many times, but I just can't. Something about her personality is so off putting, she seems way too into herself and holier-than-thou. I listened to her podcast with Rhett and Link and she was talking about how she lost her two best friends while making her short film, and it is obvious it was because she was being a controlling b*tch. Her boyfriend must be a total pushover.
Live people ignore the strange and unusual
I myself am strange and unusual

boredtears
Talker
Talker

Post by boredtears »

Just dropping by this thread to point out that Anna has deleted one of her oldest videos - the musical one about weed/working hard and then getting high or whatever, and I get why she deleted it (so many drug references in all your content anna js) but that vid was f**king hilarious, one of my favourites, Anna whyy

If you ever check out her stuff I think her best era is 2012-early 2014, up until the sponsorships start rolling in at the end and brad won't stop popping up in everything

Schrodinger
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Schrodinger »

She broke up with RWJ? I had no idea. I have not watched either of them in years.

KissedAFrog
Talker
Talker

Post by KissedAFrog »

When I first subscribed to Anna about 18 months ago, I really adored her. She came across as as witty and intelligent. These days, I'm actually quite close to ubsubbing. The first strike was that horrible video she did with Kalel; "Why We Can't Ever Stay Single".

I don't judge people on how many partners they have had, sexual or otherwise. But that video rubbed me up the wrong way. It was ten minutes of Anna and Kalel sitting there, whining about how they were just "too attractive" and "too cool" to be single. All spoken in this air-headed basic high-school girl tone.

"Like, oh my god, guys just like us! Okay! It's not our fault we move from one relationship to another without any time in between! We're just too irresistible!"

There's plenty of attractive single women out there. No one's pointing a gun to your head Anna. You don't have to date someone just because they're right there. If you like them, good on you, go ahead. But you've mentioned on multiple occasions that you're insecure and unable to be alone. You've mentioned that you are a clingy and jealous girlfriend. When you and Ray broke up you made this whole declaration about needing to learn independence. Only to drag Daniel Radcliffe into a video a couple months later, in a desperate attempt to justify you taking back your words.

"But what if Daniel Radcliffe came along! Wow, guys, I didn't think this through, did I? Sorry I said all that! I'm just gonna wait for love! No time limit is needed!"

Aaaand, ten seconds later, BOOM. A wild Brad appears.

I'm glad she found Brad. I'm happy that she's happy. But her videos are so contradictory it kills me. They go from talking about her faults and how she needs to change, to suddenly justifying some of her worst qualities. It's so confusing.

littlemisselizabeth
Learner
Learner

Post by littlemisselizabeth »

KissedAFrog wrote:Aaaand, ten seconds later, BOOM. A wild Brad appears.
HAHAHAHAHA omg, that's so true. And I really like her, but this is the ONE thing that annoys me. I don't care if she decides to break her "no dating for six months" goal or whatever. I just hate how she constantly feels the need to justify it to her subscribers. Still, she's really sweet and has a lot of good points to make (Her "Sell Out" video comes to mind.) I hope she can continue to grow and feel less insecure about herself; she seems like she deserves it.

littlemisselizabeth
Learner
Learner

Post by littlemisselizabeth »

I used to like her tons but after that whole Art Institutes garbage I dread clicking on her videos... I don't mind sponsored content, but she didn't do it well. I appreciate how open she was about it, but the videos were just waaaay less entertaining than her normal stuff /:

Post by Guest »

littlemisselizabeth wrote:I used to like her tons but after that whole Art Institutes garbage I dread clicking on her videos... I don't mind sponsored content, but she didn't do it well. I appreciate how open she was about it, but the videos were just waaaay less entertaining than her normal stuff /:
Agree. I find myself skipping a lot of her videos recently. It's cool that she invests a lot to make better quality sketch videos, but they're just not as interesting as when she would just talk about her life and her thoughts with her clones.

tabbithak
Talker
Talker

Post by tabbithak »

I happen to love Anna. Her videos incorporate both humor and deeper issues. I like that she talks about things like feminism, racism, and depression. She seems like a smart girl with good insights. I think she's gained much more confidence in her acting since her earlier youtube days.

Haven't really enjoyed her short films though.

TheLondoner
Learner
Learner

Post by TheLondoner »

I really don't know about Anna. One moment I love her newest video, the next she's annoying the shit out of me. A poster above me mentioned Rhett and Link's podcast and how horrible she sounded on there, and I agree, she seemed like a bitch. But then she makes a well-produced, funny sketch and I like her again... sigh :roll: I gotta say though, even though she rubs me the wrong way sometimes, the podcast she does with Brad, Explain Things to Me is genuinely good and worth a listen! I think it's because the focus is not on her and Brad but on their guest who is there to speak about their area of expertise. They tend to ask really insightful questions, so that's always fun to listen to.

DaylightAmy
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by DaylightAmy »

So she started arguing with me on Twitter for no reason :roll:

She posted in support of Bella Thorne coming out as bisexual, which is great, with something along the lines of "you make me question my heterosexuality". As a bisexual woman - yeah I kinda get tired of straight girls saying shit like that, but no biggie. Someone replied to her "stop straight girls making comments like that" - to which Anna then responded "it's scientifically proven that all women are bisexual".

At this point you cross a line in my book - sorry. I love all people who love cats... but don't go spreading bullshit because someone called you out, whether they were right or wrong, don't start spreading fake facts to make yourself feel better.

So I respond something like "please don't trivialize this, lies don't help anyone". I even added a loveheart to make clear I wasn't picking a fucking fight.

Well clearly I was.

She goes "no really, it's not a lie, it's scientifically proven". I ask her for the research to back that up - provided it is a research with some scientific credibility that is accepted in its field of research. She links me an article from the Independent, referencing questionable research where this theory ("all women are bisexual") is "proven" on a scale of 235 people.

That's right - one person managed to find 235 women who are attracted to other women, and apparently that proves without a doubt, scientifically, that "all women are bisexual" :roll:

So I tell her - I'm sorry but you can prove ANYTHING with only 235 test subjects. Bisexuality isn't just a buzzword you can throw around to back yourself up - people live this, people deal with violence and hate because of it. You can't just grab pseudo-science and run with it just because someone called you out. That's not fair to people who it actually does affect. I love your videos but you can't just go around stating things as facts that aren't facts, especially if it's about an issue that doesn't affect you.

She proceeds to go something like "I'm sorry you feel that way about me. I am not trivializing anything".

:roll:

So I answered... it's called a disagreement... I gave you my point of view, you give me yours, doesn't mean "I feel a way about you". I realize you didn't intend to trivialize anything, that is why I gave you my opinion, so you might consider how it may be affecting others.

At this stage she's probably muted me.

I never had a problem with you before this, Anna... even when I initially disagreed with you. I gave you my opinion, and when you realized I might have been right you went "WELL I'M SORRY YOU'RE AN ASSHOLE, I'M JUST A GOOD PERSON". I have very little respect for fellow women who are unable to have a serious discussion without flipping the fucking table because their ego is always on it. I was never disrespectful to you. It's too bad you're all about an issue until someone asks you to have a meaningful discussion.
Shredder. Master Splinter. Jackie. Boss. Pancake.

kofi
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by kofi »

Wow, she did WHAT??? I really like her videos and I agree with many of her political opinions, but WTF???? As a bisexual woman who didnt fully accept her sexuality for 20 years precisely because of biphobia, I feel so insulted. Not every woman is bi, for God's sake. And the ones who are have to deal with so much shit inside and outside our own community

DaylightAmy
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by DaylightAmy »

I deleted my tweets to her by the way, just because I hate looking at my history and seeing internet arguments, it seems so petty :roll: in hindsight I wish I hadn't removed them because I was right and she was wrong and everyone should be able to see that.

"Everyone is bisexual" or "all women are bisexual" makes me so angry. It is simply NOT TRUE and it's ignorant on so many levels.

I've met plenty of women who would never, for anything, date or fall in love or sleep with another woman. These were outspoken, open-minded women who were 100% supportive of the LGBTQI community and had no reason to lie to me when they said "I would never be with a woman". So they just simply don't exist anymore because Anna Akana wants to make a point to make herself feel better? Not believing someone when they say they are straight is JUST as disrespectful as saying you don't believe someone when they say they're gay, or bi, or anything else. You can't just erase people's identity and orientation to make yourself feel better.

And bi-erasure is an issue as it is. It's always something, isn't it? Either we're closet straight ("always end up with men") or closet gay ("just too scared to say lesbian") or we're just experimenting or we just want attention - and now we're not even any of those things, we're literally non-existent because ALL women are bisexual so why even identify as it anymore?

I'm sorry but I FOUGHT to accept myself as a bisexual woman. For many of us (not ALL of us) this wasn't a thing where we always liked men and then suddenly we were attracted to a girl at a later point in life. For many of us we knew we were bisexual from the moment we knew what attraction was, and we were in the closet and we struggled and felt like freaks and outcast just like everyone else in the LGBTQI community is unfortunately still made to feel in their teens. I remember being 12 and going to a slumber party and the other girls making derogatory comments about "lesbians" and me feeling like I was sitting on this horrible, deep dark secret and I would never be normal or happy because if people knew who I was, they wouldn't want to be around me anymore.

And that's why girls like Anna, who trivialize being out as a bisexual woman, by claiming all women are bisexual and erasing BOTH bisexual identity AND the right for women to claim heterosexuality, piss me off to no end.
Shredder. Master Splinter. Jackie. Boss. Pancake.

likefrylikefry
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by likefrylikefry »

This chick has become a full on SJW PC Queen. Like taking guns out of your videos? Wow. They're fake props.

Return to “A-M”