Moisturizer before foundation?

woopidydoo
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by woopidydoo »

Am I the only person in the world who doesn't put on any type of moisturizer before my foundation? I hate the way my foundation turns out if I put it on after moisturizer... It just slides off. I have normal to dry skin. It seems like everyone on youtube recommends moisturizer and then foundation so jw what everyone's preference is.

VeronicaSawyer

Re: Moisturizer before foundation?

Post by VeronicaSawyer »

I always put on moisturizer in the morning for sunscreen so if I do wear foundation (I typically wear just BB cream or light coverage foundation...) there will be moisturizer under it. I have pretty dry skin and if I don't wear moisturizer sometimes foundation will exaggerate dry spots/just not look very smooth.

How long do you wait before applying your foundation? Maybe if you're not waiting long enough that could be the issue. I like to give my moisturizer time to set, i.e. get dressed, dry hair, before doing my makeup. Then I will blot my face just to get rid of excess oil from the moisturizer (I use Aveeno positively radiant...love this stuff, somehow makes my skin look really good even with no makeup) and then put some primer on my nose/oily areas (give time for that to set) and then apply my foundation. I use a real techniques face sponge btw, if you're using a brush/buffing foundation in, that might be another reason why it slides around. Personally moisturizer before foundation is a must for me just for my skin to be happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kizz
Informer
Informer

Post by Kizz »

I used to never moisturise because I was convinced it made my skin oily, but if i give it a good 10 minutes to soak in so my skins dry, my foundation looks a ton better with the extra moisture!

boop
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by boop »

You should always moisturize! Perhaps you are putting on too much?

Try switching moisturizers as well. I only use 1/2 pumps of the Clinique gel one...

lipstickliquor
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by lipstickliquor »

Yeah, what others said, you need to leave plenty of time between applying your moisturizer and your foundation. I always do my eye-makeup before I apply my foundation out of habit from when I worked on a beauty counter, and I find that if I apply my moisturizer, then do my eyes, then apply my foundation, it gives the moisturizer enough time to soak into my skin.

Do you use a primer at all?

woopidydoo
Learner
Learner

Post by woopidydoo »

I think what is happening is the moisturizer I'm using is breaking down my foundation.

I use primer about half of the time. I use Laura Mercier in Radiance but mainly for the "lit from within glow" it gives. I usually will wait about 15-30 minutes after moisturizer to apply my foundation and I feel it makes my foundation slippery/gives less coverage. Everyone's always raving about moisturizer before foundation so I'm gonna try everyone's tips and see if I can get it to work for me. :)

shyLittleRj
Talker
Talker

Post by shyLittleRj »

The Body Shop Seaweed moisturiser works a treat, it moisturises but also mattifies - I've heard it works for combo/dry skin too but you're best off checking the reviews. I love it though, it's incredibly lightweight!

Ankylosaurus
Learner
Learner

Post by Ankylosaurus »

I haven't even been using moisturizer since I started using the Korres Greek Yogurt primer... it leaves my skin sooo nice and soft. Of course, when winter comes, I'll probably be singing a different tune (combination skin... ugh). But yeah, I would definitely give your moisturizer time to set before doing foundation, or even just blot off the excess if you're in a rush.
Image :love2: Image

Waldorfdarling
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Waldorfdarling »

It's a total must for me. If I don't moisturize the foundation doesn't sit well on my skin, it looks like I'm wearing a lot of makeup. However I do like to wait a solid 10-15 minutes till it absorbs completely. Otherwise, the foundation will slide right off. I'm currently using the La Roche Posay Hydreane Light moisturizing cream and I love it because it's very lightweight and it leaves a velvety feel to the skin. My foundation is the Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum foundation and I think it works great with the moisturizer underneath.
XOXO

catwoman534
Informer
Informer

Post by catwoman534 »

Sometimes I only put a primer on before foundation. I don't like to wear foundation by itself because I feel it would come off and not go on smoothly.

bits
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by bits »

I don't use moisturizer because I can't find one that doesn't break me out, but I put my facial oil on as soon as I get out of the shower so it has more than enough time to absorb into my skin. I find if I apply it too soon to when I put on makeup it just slides off.
@zoella shove ya gingerbread cutter up ya arse xoxo

Pyramid11
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Pyramid11 »

I have extremely dry skin. I use Coconut Oil and night and CeraVe AM mosturizer in the morning.

My foundation goes on great. I also shave the peach fuzz off my face. I started that last year and it's made a world of difference

hellyeah
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by hellyeah »

woopidydoo wrote:Am I the only person in the world who doesn't put on any type of moisturizer before my foundation? I hate the way my foundation turns out if I put it on after moisturizer... It just slides off. I have normal to dry skin. It seems like everyone on youtube recommends moisturizer and then foundation so jw what everyone's preference is.
IMO you do what you feel is right for your face and makeup application. I have oily and acne prone skin. I sometimes put on a moisturizer and I feel like it enhances the oil. I use an oil free one with SPF. Even if I use my Becca matte primer I still get oily. I do my eye makeup first and my moisturizer has plenty of time to set. Still gets oily.

I think wearing an SPF is the most important. Do you moisturizer at night? You don't have to moisturizer in the AM. Do what works best for you. Image I do not agree that there is ONE SET WAY to do makeup. These gurus in YT are doing a makeup look that they probably go wash off after filming. I've watched gurus that say, "I don't really wear makeup when I'm not filming." Uhhhh, so why am I trusting your opinion then?!? I think you also need to find the moisturizer for you. It can be tough. Do it through trial and error.

hellyeah
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by hellyeah »

Pyramid11 wrote:I have extremely dry skin. I use Coconut Oil and night and CeraVe AM mosturizer in the morning.

My foundation goes on great. I also shave the peach fuzz off my face. I started that last year and it's made a world of difference
I shave my peach fuzz, too! Image

Pyramid11
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Pyramid11 »

hellyeah wrote:
Pyramid11 wrote:I have extremely dry skin. I use Coconut Oil and night and CeraVe AM mosturizer in the morning.

I was skeptical. I thought it would come back darker with more hair. I read up on it, and I felt comfortable that would never happen. And - it didn't.

I do it every two weeks. I'm a blonde and not a hairy person - but, the peach fuzz was noticeable. I'm so happy I started. The foundation looks a lot better and stays on longer - I feel because of this.

Sashasash
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Sashasash »

You're not alone OP. It makes my makeup super oily.

bits
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by bits »

Pyramid11 wrote:
hellyeah wrote:

I was skeptical. I thought it would come back darker with more hair. I read up on it, and I felt comfortable that would never happen. And - it didn't.

I do it every two weeks. I'm a blonde and not a hairy person - but, the peach fuzz was noticeable. I'm so happy I started. The foundation looks a lot better and stays on longer - I feel because of this.
Have you ever tried any other hair removal for peach fuzz, like cream or laser?
@zoella shove ya gingerbread cutter up ya arse xoxo

Pyramid11
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Pyramid11 »

No, just a razor.

Return to “Make up & Beauty Discussion”